This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thanks Mr. GW

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks Mr. GW

Postby Donny M » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 pm

As I'm now starting to put the 49 back together. The valves and seats were pitted pretty bad so I had a friend grind them a couple of days ago and after cleaning the block and putting a coat of primer on it the valves were ready to lap.
I got to thinking that somewhere there was an article about valve lapping. I found it on Rudi's site. Mr. GW put together a great article about an easy way to lap the valves.

I used Mr. GW's method with one exception...I used 5/16" hex nuts super glued to the top of the valves and a 1/4" drive 1/2" socket to drive them. I did try to swage some washers but had trouble keeping them flat. You need to have a flat surface to sit on the valve for maximum surface area for the glue to bond.
The valves and guides now have a nice gray appearance and the time was minimal.

Sure beats the sucktion cup deal :!: :!: I couldn't find mine anyway and didn't wan't to buy another.

So Thanks Mr. GW

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:48 pm

Donny,

I'm glad the idea helped. Your idea of using the nuts is a good one, and a lot easier. I've found that the washers don't hold much at the outer part anyway, due to the dome of the exhaust valve.

Isn't it amazing how well the glue holds?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:19 pm

Mr. GW,

Another advantage in using the nuts...After the valves are lapped just screw a bolt in the nut and it pops right off.

I had some grafite coated stainless nuts and they glued pretty tight. They sit right over the dome.

Thanks again,

Donny

Return to “Farmall Cub”