This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need a Fork Lift

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AmLaFrance
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need a Fork Lift

Postby AmLaFrance » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:14 pm

Hi folks,
I'm building a timber frame barn this summer, and I need a way to move the beams around while cutting the frame. I have a '49 cub with a snow plow (the one that mounts either out front or under the belly). I was wondering if I could remove the plow blade and rig up some blocking or frame out front on the plow frame to lift beams. Any thoughts? I have hydraulics. Would I be better off doing something on the rear with the rockshaft? Any advice or experience appreciated.
JB
- 49 Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:24 pm

I don't think the plow frame would handle a very heavy beam. Maybe something rigged off the drawbar using the rear rockshaft would work. Even at that, the rated lift is only around 3-400 lbs I think.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Weav27
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Weav27 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:08 pm

Just an idea. I have moved a few 10' axels and some I beams, but weight may be a concern. I drove over top of them then attached them to the rear drawbar with a strap and then to the snowplow with another strap. Raise the plow and you can move the piece around. The piece is low and you may have to adjust it. By using the drawbar and front end you are making a lever, thus can lift a bit heavier load. Another option may be to, (if not too heavy) attach a strap or chain where the cultivators hook in the front and use the rear rockshaft to lift it. Either way be careful because that much weight or hitting something could break some cast somewhere. Like I said, "Just an idea."
Working on tractors is a true test of one's ability to balance patience and temper.

AmLaFrance
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AmLaFrance » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:00 pm

Thanks for the thoughts, I will mull them over. I don't have the beams yet, it will be easier to think this through when they are here in front of me. Another option is to line up a team of high school boys on saturday mornings to move 'em around for me!
- 49 Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”