This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tranny Seals Interchange Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Tranny Seals Interchange Question

Postby Hengy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 am

Hi all!

I am loading up for my tranny work and am in the "parts sourcing" stage.

I went to Napaonline.com to see about interchange of seals using the IH part number from the manuals and THINK I have some matches...but need the experts opinion.

Here is what I found.

Differential shaft innner seal:
IH Part Number 385872R91
Napa Part Number: NOS10681
ID - 1.0630"
OD - 1.8320"
Width - 0.2500"

Differential shaft outer seal (in the final drive, right??)
IH Part Number 381907R91 (new part number CR16118)
Napa Part number: NOS 16117
ID - 1.6250"
OD - 2.4410"
Width - 0.3130"

PTO Shaft Seal
IH Part Number 126107C1
Napa Part Number NOS 11209
ID - 1.1250"
OD - 1.8780"
Width - 0.2500"

No interchange found for the main spline shaft seal, so that one I would have to get from Case-IH... Also, anyone have the O-Ring sizes for the various applications in the tranny?

The reason for the questions here is that when I looked up the parts on Napaonline.com, they came right up with a seal, but the picture doesn't look like the right thing, and they have different location descriptions for the parts that I would be using...

Any help would be most appreciated! There is some cost savings here over Case-IH, but if it is the wrong part, the cost savings goes out the window!!

Thanks!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:25 pm

Mike, why not buy from TM, one of our site sponsors. Great service, and one of the sponsors of your favorite place on the WWW. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Did you compare them to the A.T.I.S. cross reference list in the FAQ?

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

I am with Ed

Postby Joe Malinowski » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:33 pm

My fellow countryman is right as far as I am concerned. There will be no guessing it will be right and fit, can't go wrong with the site sponsors.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

calcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95032
Tractors Owned: 2- 1952 Cubs

Tranny seals

Postby calcub » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Mike.... why not contact Bermuda Ken at Carter and Gruenwald right in your backyard. I called him when I rebuilt my rear finals and got everything perfectly with one call. Also, the bottom line pricing for all the rear seals was comparable to my local parts houses.

A big plus for me was he was able to suggest parts prior to taking things apart that I didn't recognize that I needed from looking at the the manual, thus saving me a lot of time in the long run having to order more parts later.

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:34 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Mike, why not buy from TM, one of our site sponsors. Great service, and one of the sponsors of your favorite place on the WWW. Ed
:Dito:

I ahve done 3 tarnnies thus far on mine. Just do yourself a favor Mikey and get the kit from Ton and Lynn instead of racking your brain trying to cross and look number up :wink: :wink:

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:10 pm

Fellas,

I appreciate the plug for TM, and I agree that Tom and Lynn are some great folks. It is a dollars and cents thing for me. I am lucky that I live close to a GREAT Case IH dealer who is close to the Case IH warehouse. Unfortunately, that puts TM at a competitive disadvantage to them initially, and PLUS I have to pay shipping from TM.

Unfortunately, this is a fact for me. I have absolutely nothing against TM and understand that they make precious little margin on the items that they do sell to us and other Cub enthusiasts around the country.

NAPA quoted me using their "interchange" function and the OEM IH number. The prices they have quoted are more than a little bit cheaper, and I don't have to pay shipping, and they can have it at the store the next day for me at no extra charge. I understand that if it doesn't work correctly, then there is NO cost savings in doing it that way, and that is why I asked my initial question.

I am sorry if this reply stirs the pot...I truly don't want to do that...I have the utmost respect for ALL of our site sponsors... but on a dollars and cents scale, I am looking at options...

By the way, I did look out at the ATIS page for seal interchange numbers, and find that I am on the right track on the three that I quoted.

Thanks,

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:18 pm

NAPA quoted me using their "interchange" function and the OEM IH number. The prices they have quoted are more than a little bit cheaper, and I don't have to pay shipping, and they can have it at the store the next day for me at no extra charge

Mike I found out that alot of the little parts like, coil, points, condenser, and other consumables on the older ih tractors. IH gets them from NAPA also. I stood next to the parts guy from the IH dealer as he picked up their parts from NAPA. Same manufacturer just different package. I about fell over and asked why was I paying more at the dealership. He stated because the package says "CASE IH." He then replied that the local IH dealership where he works can buy the parts cheaper and faster from NAPA then the main IH company. Go figure

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Mike, when you pull the old seal out you may fins it to have a Cr or National number on it rather than an IH. That will make the cross over easier.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RI Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02830

Postby RI Cub » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:24 pm

I just did all mine ordered from TM, got them in one or two days. and all the seals were perfect fit.

My 2 cents

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:31 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Mike, when you pull the old seal out you may fins it to have a Cr or National number on it rather than an IH. That will make the cross over easier.

Thanks for your help, John... I appreciate that! I will wait to get the seals until I get the old ones out...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Mike, the main shaft seal and retainer will have to come from C/IH the PTO SEAL and the carrier seals and the top seals in the finals can all be got from NAPA the O Rings are best got from C/IH as well as the welsh plugs get the gaskets from C/IH also
You can get the seals for close to half price
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:00 pm

Mike, make sure you don't put the main shaft retainer in backward. if you do it will let the main shaft slide forward enough to cause the pto to disengage.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:15 pm

David Bennett wrote:Mike, the main shaft seal and retainer will have to come from C/IH the PTO SEAL and the carrier seals and the top seals in the finals can all be got from NAPA the O Rings are best got from C/IH as well as the welsh plugs get the gaskets from C/IH also
You can get the seals for close to half price
David

David,

Thank you SO much for responding to this post... I appreciate the help you have given me...

John,

I remember now that thread that I read a while back about that seal retainer... I appreciate the reminder...

Time to get to putting seals back in... but that is a subject for another thread!

Thanks for the help, guys!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image