This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear wheel bearings

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jwcoop
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rear wheel bearings

Postby jwcoop » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:41 am

I'm getting ready to take the rear wheels off of the 49. I think I will have to dismount the tires because the rims are really rusty. What bearings should I replace? I am pretty much doing a complete rebuild, but am leaving the transmission, touch control and final drive alone because they aren't leaking and all seemed OK when I last ran the tractor.

Also, the wheels on this tractor have been white for as long as I remember. They were orignially red? And the wheel weights?

I will post more pictures when I begin reassembling.

Thanks

jc
jwcoop

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:59 am

Coop, Make sure you wedge the front axle before you jack it up to take the wheels off, Safety First !!

Paul K. in NH

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 am

Here's a photo with wedges installed.

Photo courtesy G. Willer
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Postby bob in CT » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:17 am

jwcoop wrote:I'm getting ready to take the rear wheels off of the 49. I think I will have to dismount the tires because the rims are really rusty. What bearings should I replace? I am pretty much doing a complete rebuild, but am leaving the transmission, touch control and final drive alone because they aren't leaking and all seemed OK when I last ran the tractor.

Also, the wheels on this tractor have been white for as long as I remember. They were orignially red? And the wheel weights?
jc

Wheels and wheel weights match the color of the hood, so yours should be red. Rims are silver.

Bearings? The only bearings I would replace are bad ones. Sounds like you are not taking the final drives apart, so if they are not leaking (mine didn't leak but that was because they had no lube in them) and they are not making noise, I guess you are good to go.

jwcoop
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jwcoop » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks guys,

I already have the tractor split and on cribbing, and based on good advice from this forum, I did wedge the front end before I took it off.

The engine is still in the machine shop and, unfortunately, I can't work on the tractor as much right now. It's spring and I have garden and yard work. I planted tomatoes yesterday.
jwcoop

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:01 pm

In the above photo, I notice the tie rods are 1 on top-1 on bottom.

Is that the proper way? Mine came both on bottom.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:05 pm

Dale - that is the proper configuration for a lo-boy (except for the early ones). Fcubs all had them on the bottom. The over / under set-up was a correction for steering geometry differences in the lo-boys.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com