This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seat Post Bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Seat Post Bolts

Postby Hengy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:54 am

Hey all...

I am preparing for the "big disassembly" of the aft end of Merlin(cub) to swap tranny parts, and ran across a question...

I have been hitting the seat post bolts with penetrant every day since Saturday and letting is soak in... I plan to go to the store and get a six pointed socket and breaker bar to get those puppies off. My question is what is the head size for those bolts? The parts manual on Rudi's manual site says that those bolts are 5/8 x 1 1/4 -N.C. Hex head bolts. What is the head size that I would need to buy a socket to fit? Is it a 1" head?

Thanks for your help, and pics to come on the disassembly!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:06 am

Morning Mike, mine are 7/8 wrench size.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 am

Pete1941 wrote:Morning Mike, mine are 7/8 wrench size.

Thanks, Pete! What had me confused is that I did a google search on bolt-head size in relation to the shank size. According to the website that it pointed me to, they state that the head size should be 15/16"...

I am more apt to believe a person who actually HAS one of those bolts to measure...Thanks again for posting that answer!

Tonight is the night...I am going to try to get these puppies loose!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:24 am

Mike: Sometimes the seat bolts are rusted in so badly that the heads twist off or round off during removal. Should that happen, Sears makes a bolt removal set called "Bolt-Out" which will grasp the rounded head or, if you have the proper size, will grasp the stem of the bolt after the head snaps off and allow its removal. Cost is around $20 for a set containing five or six sizes. For more info try the search option for "boltout". But I hope they come out easily and you won't need the set. Dan

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:25 am

Mike, I went out and measured, or put a wrench on mine, so that should be correct if a PO somewhere back did not, for whatever reason, change them out. By the way, you can tilt the tool box just for enough forward to get a flat open end wrench down in there if you want to double check if yours are the same. I have seen so many things happen with the Cubs that I don't think anything is chiseled in stone because of what others may have done. Good luck, Pete

delawhere
10+ Years
10+ Years

bolts

Postby delawhere » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 am

hi mike. i just finished a 3 day battle with mine. them beauties were in there. i didn't want to break them off. air gun got 1 of them. the other 1 was a bear. i finally got a dremmel tool with a good grinring wheel on it and cut across the base about half way and then thru the top. was lucky, it loosened right up.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 pm

If original 7/8, replacement will be 15/16, have them with both sizes. If the bolt heads look rusted and nasty, you may want to spring for a Snap-on 6 pt socket. You'll cry when you pay for it, but not as much as you'll cry if you round off those heads.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:33 pm

"BLUE FLAME WRENCH" and don't be afraid to get it red hot! You will be amazed how easy a rusty corroded bolt will come out. Penetrate works well on a nut, but a bolt way down in a rusty casting is hard to get oil down to it.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

RonHarper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74014

Postby RonHarper » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:43 pm

Ditto to what bighoss said. If you have access to a torch get it RED HOT. Of course use common sense and don't keep heating till you melt it :D . Heat can do wonders to a stubborn bolt
1949 Cub S/N 95854 "Ellis"
" It's not the size of the tractor in the fight, but the size of the fight in the tractor ".

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 pm

LiL' Red wrote:If original 7/8, replacement will be 15/16, have them with both sizes. If the bolt heads look rusted and nasty, you may want to spring for a Snap-on 6 pt socket. You'll cry when you pay for it, but not as much as you'll cry if you round off those heads.

Of course, when I got home tonight with my newly acquired 7/8" six pointed socket and a 24" breaker bar, all set to get to it, what do I find... Of course, it is Merlin(cub)... I have one of EACH size bolt in the seat post base. Just got back from a trip BACK to Menards with a 15/16" 6-pointed socket... I am back on the way out to the garage to get that bugger off of the tractor...

Thanks for the tip on the "blue tip wrench" I don't have an oxy-acetylene torch, but only a Propane one...I will at least heat it up as much as I can and will get it off... it will come...one way or another!

One benefit to this project cub...I am amassing quite the tool set!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:08 pm

[quote="WisconsinCubMan]...One benefit to this project cub...I am amassing quite the tool set!! [/quote]

Mike,

Use every job as an excuse to get new tools. :) It works for me.

Bill (there is no tool you do not need) Hudson
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:04 pm

YIPPPEEEEE!!!!

Man did I make good headway....

Seat is off, pan is free of the tranny, fenders and right hand axle extension... I plan to leave the pan on the torque tube for now...

Next step is wedging the front end and SPLITTING!

Also found out that the First/Reverse Fork was BUSTED. Got both of the forks out with NO flying poppet balls!!

What a GREAT NIGHT!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:44 pm

I think this formula starts at 1", but not sure. The wrench size will be the size of the bolt, plus 1/2 the size of the bolt, plus 1/8". So if the bolt is 1", add 1/2", and that will be 1 1/2" then add 1/8" for a total of 1 5/8" wrench size for a 1" bolt. A 4" bolt will take a 6 1/8 wrench. (And a lot of humph) I used to know the smaller sizes also, but my memory is starting to fail. I still remember concrete is .03703 though. It's weird how some things sticks and some things go on down the tubes.
Any way Mike, I'm proud of you. Just keep it up and one day soon you will say "look at my restored Cub". I'm looking forward to it too. (after all, it's my namesake) I'm going to start on mine next week. Going to name it Cantankerous.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:18 am

Hey Mike congrats on gettin them bolts out 8) , I know the feelin cause I just got done doing the same and every bolt on the rear axel tube was nothing but a rusted nub , I used PB Blaster and vice grips and punches and still can't believe that they all came out,,,,,,,,,ya shoulda seen what was left of my battery box bolts :shock: ................but they also came it was a good day..............

Fl Cubman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32533
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1951
Farmall Cub 1975
Massey Ferguson 240 1991

Bolt size vs wrench size

Postby Fl Cubman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:39 pm

Good evening everyone. This is my first post. I hope it comes through. I have been reading all of your post every day for several months. I have purchased a cub that had been in the family for years before going outside the family. I got a chance to buy back. It does not run but I am in the process of restoring it. It is a 1951. When I taught Mechanics for wrench size -
It is 1-1/2 times the stud size for standard size nut.

1-1/2 times the stud plus 1/16" for medium strength Nut

1-1/2 times the stud plus 1/8" for heavy duty Nut.

I appreciate all of the help each one of you share with each other.

I am located in Pensacola Fl. O. C.