This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Saved from the indignity of....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Saved from the indignity of....

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 am

Being pulled out with the Kubota.

Remember my plowing misadventure? Well, Bill was right that it was WAY too wet to plow. I sunk in and started to slip and ran out of gas at the same time. Meanwhile, the water started seeping up into the furrows plus we got some rain for good measure. Temperatures in the 20's this morning left a skim coat of ice.

I got my wife prepared to assist by driving the Kubota with a length of wrecker chain. ( this is where the theme song from Green Acres starts to fade in) She grew up in New York City and I think she was 17 or so before she found out that fresh vegetables were not picked from the tree with the can wrapped around them :lol: :roll: . I figured the hydrostactic drive was a good introduction to a tractor. (in fairness- it has been rumored that I married her for the 4wd standard shift pickup she owned at the time I met her but I categorically deny this rumor).

I went out to get things prepped and after I fueled up the 74, I thought I would see if I could get it out on my own. I had to back up because I had the plow mounted and there was no way I would be going forward. I was able to move it back a few feet so I was now optimistic as a now had a level track in the boot-sucking mud to work with as a runway. I had to rock my way back quite a ways before the tractor lifted up onto the sod but I was able to get it out without using any boards or the tow chain, so I am pretty happy.

I wish I had dryer ground but I've got what I got. i am just going to plant sunflowers here but I wanted to put in a crop of peas to fix some nitrogen first. once it dries out I'll get the sunflowers going and after I lay in the seed for winter bird feeding, I'll get in a cover crop of rye and maybe I'll harrow that in and try peas next year without tilling. I do have access to a few hundred yards of composted horse manure that probably has no value as far as nitrogen goes (with rotted wood shavings) but that and some sand may help the drainage on the surface. We'll see.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:22 am

Bob,

I'm glad you got the Cub out without any other adventures.

As for the composted horse manure/wood shavings, that will be helpful in building the soil crumb structure. You mentioned adding sand to help the surface soil drain better. Before you go to the expense/time/effort to add sand to improve drainage, think about this:
When you incorporate sand into your topsoil, you are in effect creating a large bowl (think soup/cereal bowl). The water will only drain out as fast as the undisturbed soil below the bowl will allow. Save your time and money so that you have more of each for CUBS.

I know that I have not explained this as well as I should, so if you have questions, please ask.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks, Bill.

I appreciate your advice. -A lot- :worthy:

If I won the lottery, I would scrape off the soil, screen it and blend it with sand and compost and put some drainage in as I have a nice pitch to use.

My neighbor got a few hundred yards of sand for the cost of the trucking alone, which was cheap because it was coming from a nearby site.

Same with the compost from the horse barn only a mile away. When it dries out it is cheap to get a triaxle and a loader for the day and get as much here as possible as the charge by the mile and it is just a 2 mile RT. It is all completely rotted and the weed seeds (and the compost) are free.

I sure love the way these Cubs can chug through mud. Better than the 4wd Kubota, actually because of the clearance. If it were not for the bucket, I would have "lost" that tractor more than once. :D

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:26 pm

get a sub soiler from northern tool and put it on the Kubota and go to town. you will be surprised how much water that will remove. It is better to do it in the fall that way when water gets in and freezes it makes bigger tunnels for it to escape.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:37 pm

Watch out on horse manure.It is very acid.Will burn the plants bad.People say one year,I'd go two before i use it.I did one year,the plants had a real tough time.I limed it the next year anways.[akline]Peas are a great idea to ues or beans.Kevin :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:47 pm

The stuff i am getting has been rotted for about 10 years. Too good to pass up.

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Bob,

I go through the "too wet and muddy" thing every year. I just can't wait to get out and plow/mow. I am remodeling and have all kinds of stuff I need burned but don't want to ruin the lawn pulling trailers around.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:15 pm

I'm on a hill but I am in a bit of a hollow so the bottom of my property can stay wet all summer. When I was thinking of digging a pond, one of my neighbors came over with a backhoe in August after one of the driest summers we had in 20 years and took one swipe and hit water. That hardpan down below holds it. The hill I live on is all glacial till, not bedrock.

Anyway, one year I was having some of that manure delivered and things looked like they were starting to get soft after about 10-15 loads. I told the driver he should start using all wheel drive and he just waved me off. The D-9 could barely get him out....

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Re: Saved from the indignity of....

Postby Into Tractors » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:59 am

Bob in CT wrote:She grew up in New York City and I think she was 17 or so before she found out that fresh vegetables were not picked from the tree with the can wrapped around them . I figured the hydrostactic drive was a good introduction to a tractor. (in fairness- it has been rumored that I married her for the 4wd standard shift pickup she owned at the time I met her but I categorically deny this rumor).

Sure hope she doesn't have access to a computer or this website, someone might be sleeping in the doghouse :shock: :shock:
Mike Duncan

Return to “Farmall Cub”