This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Magneto Kill Switch wire routing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Magneto Kill Switch wire routing

Postby Hengy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:10 am

Hello all!

Mike's silly question for the day... What is the routing for the magneto kill switch from the mag back to the kill switch? Does it wrap around behind the mag and then go up to join the rest of the wires under the hood, does it just route straight up from its post on the mag to join the wires in the harness, or does it head rearward from the post on the mag to join with the other wires coming down from to the starter (main wire and ammeter wire).

I didn't buy a harness, but made my own, and want everything to route correctly!

Thanks!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

XFARMA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03445
Tractors Owned: 41 H, 44 H, 47 Cub,57 Cub Loboy, 76 Cub,
47 BN, 50 SA demo,
50 C demo,
54 SC,59 240U,
Ford, 69 5000, 73 4000,75 2000, 70 4500TLB
73 JD 350B dozer

Postby XFARMA » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Mike, the mag wire is seperate from the harness but I believe I wrapped mine around behind the mag and up to the harness and followed the harness back to the kill switch. The Cub is not here to look at right now so I am hoping my memory isn't gone yet. Hope this helps. Chuck
Member of Chapter 18

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:59 am

I route them from the wiring harness down behind the mag to then up to the connector. It keeps the wire protected and looks better. IMO

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:01 pm

Cecil wrote:I route them from the wiring harness down behind the mag to then up to the connector. It keeps the wire protected and looks better. IMO

That is what I was thinking...it would be the neatest look. I thought I recalled that it did not run as a part of the harness, but it did run "with" the harness and main battery cable from the dash.

Thanks Cecil and Chuck! Yinz are the best!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Cecil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Mike, if you were to buy a new harness there is one that has the kill wire in it. It ends up costing me more than the one with the ground in for the headlights with more wires. I usually purchase the least expensive and use the wires I need. I have found that the wire that goes to the distributor in those harnesses is a little short for a mag. I just cut it above the hood line and splice a longer piece of wire to it. Soldered and heat shrunk it will last forever.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Cecil wrote:Mike, if you were to buy a new harness there is one that has the kill wire in it. It ends up costing me more than the one with the ground in for the headlights with more wires. I usually purchase the least expensive and use the wires I need. I have found that the wire that goes to the distributor in those harnesses is a little short for a mag. I just cut it above the hood line and splice a longer piece of wire to it. Soldered and heat shrunk it will last forever.

Thanks, Cecil! Since my tractor is a Mag tractor with a cutout on the genny, I have made my own harness (still need to bundle the wires with a binder yet) so I am doing everything from scratch. What do you fellows recommend for a binder to hold all the wires together neatly? I have seen everything from black electrical tape wrapped around the wires to a garden hose (saw that at Cubfest, OH last year!) to bind all the wires together. Is there any problem with putting the mag kill switch wire right in the harness with everything else?
Image Image

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Cecil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Put the kill switch right in the bundle with the other wires. It just supplies a ground when the switch is on. As for the wrapping go to the auto parts store and get some wire loom. It comes in various diameters so you can get on that is the right size for the amount of wires that you have.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 pm

What Cecil describes with the wire going down before up puts a drip loop in it. The idea of that is any water on the wire will go to the low spot and drip off. We always did that on telrphone installations years ago. I have noticed that the Cable Tv Guys have gotten out of that habit. Any time you wire something it should have a drip loop if possible.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop