This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Static timing a distributor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Static timing a distributor

Postby Trent M » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:21 am

I'm finally gonna get to work (play!) on tractors tomorrow. I don't have a timing light, so I'd like to set the distributor timing with my multimeter. Can someone please explain precisely how to do it?

My best guess is that I'm checking for continuity between the distributor's external connection (where the small wire goes to the coil) and the distributor cap's center tower (that also goes to the coil). Then I would set to TDC and rotate the top of the distributor towards the engine to the point where there is no longer continuity. Am I close and/or where did I go wrong? Thanks!
Trent McPeak

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:54 am

Instead of using the meter, remove the distributor cap. Rotate the distributor until the points arc. Tighten the clamp, install the cap and you're all set!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:42 am

If you choose to use the multi-meter, connect between the dist. terminal & a known good ground. You wont see continuity at the center tower. I generally do it similar to Carl's method, except I look for a spark from the coil wire.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:24 am

Any of the above will work. Watching for the spark at the points or coil requires having the ignition on. The multi-meter methods require it to be off and can be done before the battery is hooked up.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:45 am

beaconlight
Cub Pro

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a section in the book for cold or initial timing. It is used to time an engine after removing the distributor to set an intial time to get the engine started and follow up with a timing light to tweeek it using a timing light. I have found that if I am careful the timing falls in just right and doesn't need tweeking. With the ignition off turn it to top dead center # 1 piston (the one nearest the radiator) The pointer should line up with the mark on the pulleyand the rotor should point to where the #1 spark plug wire is when the cap is on. This is done after adjusting the points. Any way next loosen the distributor mounting fastener. Rotate your dist till the points just break. Keep that adjustmentand tighten the dist.
You will find this in the manuals on Rudi's site.

Bill

connect the multimeter on OHMS between the coil (distributer side) and ground, ignition off. not polarity sensitive, you are simply looking for short/open condition.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

pbrawner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Timing

Postby pbrawner » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:19 pm

You would be amazed at how close you can come to properly setting the timing by ear. Assuming the points are properly gaped, the plugs are clean and properly gaped, and the spark plug wires are functioning without arking. loosen the distributor and with the motor running twist the distributor until you have the most pleasant sound. That is the proper setting.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Re: Timing

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:14 am

pbrawner wrote:You would be amazed at how close you can come to properly setting the timing by ear. Assuming the points are properly gaped, the plugs are clean and properly gaped, and the spark plug wires are functioning without arking. loosen the distributor and with the motor running twist the distributor until you have the most pleasant sound. That is the proper setting.

"The most pleasant sound" is rather subjective and arbitrary depending on the listener. The smoothest sound I have found not to be the optimal power setting.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm

I wanted to recheck the point gap also, which I adjusted slightly. I already was set to TDC when I had the distributor off, and the cap off. So I turned on the ignition key and set as Lurker Carl suggested. The results? Well, are the 9.5 ag tires supposed to spin if you pop the clutch out a little to fast? :D I think this one is ready for the Woods 59.

Actually I'm hoping to give it a work out with the 23a disk before mowing season, but it rained AGAIN last night. :roll: :evil:
Trent McPeak

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:03 pm

Glad to see it worked out well for you.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop