This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got A '55 LoBoy This Week!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
OKCUB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Got A '55 LoBoy This Week!

Postby OKCUB » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Hey Guys

Most of you probably don't know me but I joined last year for help in diagnosing a PTO Problem in a '53 F-Cub. Well anyway you guys helped me figure it out (Main shaft retainer problem). Well I have not had time to split it, but just recently found someone with experience replacing shafts willing to do it. It is really more of a job than I am comfortable doing anyway.

Anyways I just bought a 1955 LoBoy with a Woods 59 mower. It has a grader blade that appears to be homade? Maybe some will know. The guy I bought it from was the third owner (same family). The engine was rebuilt at the IH dealership in 1995. It has been used to mow 1 1/4 acres for the last few years.

I changed the oil, filter, transmission and final drive fluid today. I also change the spark plugs and fuel filter. Did some grading on the driveway for about two hours todayand it seems to run great, everthing works. I will be mowing about 2 acres with it. I paid $1500 for it so I think it was a fair deal. Everthing is pretty straight on it and it is all there, just needs paint (maybe this winter). Wil be replacing rear tires this week, probably ag tread, I'm not much on turf tires.

Thank you in advance for helping me with sometimes dumb questions!! :) Tell me if there is any thing else I should check on it.

OKCUB

rpruitt96
10+ Years
10+ Years

Loboy

Postby rpruitt96 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Nice find. Gotta love a Loboy.

ron

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:11 pm

Congratulations on a good find! The blade configuration is interesting. Have fun with it. I'd say the price sounds fair indeed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:29 pm

For mowing you may want to stay with the turf tires. Less damage to the lawn.
Nice looking LoBoy.
Can't wait to get our '57 LoBoy back from Cecil's and bolt on the 6' Mott Flail Mower.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Looks like you got a pretty good deal. ENJOY :)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:55 pm

Nice!

I would recommend a steel fuel line with no filter though (do a search).

Enjoy your Cub!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm

Sweet looking lil ride you got there :D

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:30 pm

MMMMMM MMMMMMM MHHHH That is nice my freind. Enjoy it.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 pm

NICE FIND! I think that was a fair price indeed! You know, I am sure that you could find a person or two who would be interested in those turf tires, should you elect to sell them. They always seem to bring more $$ than ags do!

Congrats and enjoy the seat time!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:47 am

Nice Loboy! I agree with Peter about the turf tires--new ones with better tread will do better than you might think, and of course they're much better for mowing.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

OKCUB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby OKCUB » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:51 am

WisconsinCubMan wrote:NICE FIND! I think that was a fair price indeed! You know, I am sure that you could find a person or two who would be interested in those turf tires, should you elect to sell them. They always seem to bring more $$ than ags do!

Congrats and enjoy the seat time!

Mike in La Crosse, WI

Yeah the Turf tires are in worse shape than they look in the pictures. They are weather craked real bad and both of them have a big piece of tread peeling of. So I'd probably give them away if anyone wanted them!~ :) I think they are original from '55!

I am thinking about going with ags because sometimes my land stays wet in spots after a big rain. And I will be doing some yard grading with it in loose soil and I figure the would pull better. I mow with ags on the 53 and It never messed up the yard unless the ground was really soft. The Turfs do look better on a LoBoy I think though, but I think Ag's might be more practical.

I called around yesterday and got a price on westlake Tires for $160 something a piece + tax and mounting. That seemed high to me, I would rather go with Firestone or a name brand for that price. Anybody have Westlake Tires?

Any Advice on Tire selection is appreciated.

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:07 am

OK, Have you checked out Tucker tire. com or Miller tire .com ?

Paul K in NH