This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12 volt conversion parts list

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Electronrider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Electronrider » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Clark Thompson wrote:I dont like to covert from 6 vt to 12 but sometime it depends on what your going to use the tractor for. Most of the time there isnt much wrong with the 6vt system other than a new regualtor or a set of brushes in the generator. If you going to use the tractor for working and the generator and regualtor is shot.If you need to get a rebuilt generator , replace the regualtor and the battery also this would cost a couple hundred bucks to do.Then its much cheaper to convert to 12 vt. You can get a delco one wire alternator for about 65 bucks. Then you need to alter the generator brackets slightley to mount the alternator.Do a little rewiring. . also a new 12 vt coil & Light bulbes. you will have about 100 bucks in converting.If your going to use your tractor for show and a investment then you want it original. Converting it is a NO ! NO!.

I never thought of mentioning that the generator was bad, this was known 7 years ago when it last ran. This cub is going to work for a living. I told the wife that anything I can't mow with my cub, I am tilling up and planting flowers or vegetables, ready to go out and play with it. I need to find a rebuilt kit for the starter, or at lease a set of brush arms, and the springs that go on them. The starter is working good, but the in-laws recommended I replace the brushes, and the assembly that holds them. We had to spend about an hour taking the starter apart, drying it out, and getting the brush arms to move properly. I really was amazed obout how much they did, with the very poor quality of the materials they had at hand. Had I not seen those two do it, I would have been very doubtful to see someone get a starter working with the condition it was in.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:26 pm

I need to find a rebuilt kit for the starter, or at lease a set of brush arms, and the springs that go on them.
DeputyJailer has parts and repairs starters and generators. E-mail him.

I just replaced the brushes and bushings on my Cub starter - it's not a very difficult job. Generators are just as easy.

Considering that the generator is not functioning and this is going to be a working tractor. Why not convert to 12 volts?

About 2 hours ago I purchased a rebuilt 10SI (Delco) alternator from the auto parts store. $39.95 plus sales tax.

I use 3/8" dia all thread, about 4 or 6 nuts and a stack of washers to mount the alternator in the bottom bracket. You may have to drill the bottom bracket holes out to 3/8".
I have an excuse. CRS.

2cubs2cases
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2cubs2cases » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 am

I agree convert to 12 volt. Best move I ever made. Starts all the time everytime. 6 volt was a pain.
1956 Farmall Cub,1952 Cub Hi Crop, 1959 Case 420b, 1960 Case 530ck Backhoe