This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

farm accident today (sort of like stump issue) pics added

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Blueclawz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Blueclawz » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am

Rick can add some roots and a bit of grass at the bottom. You should probably offer some without the slash for those tough-guys who pull stumps all the time...they place a sticker on the fender for every stump pulled like a fighter ace. :)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Well, some glad you are ok and lived to tell the tale. Stuff like that rates at least an 18 on the 10 point Pucker Factor List fer sure :big what:

I think many of us have had an experience somewhat like that, outside of our farm tractors or lawn tractors and using commercial equipment. We always have to have 3 pairs of eyes in our heads it seems to keep on top of it all. Most times, well, "stuff happens".

A few months before my major heart episode.. I was running a JD-644-D loader. Really nice rig.. hard as nails, tough as can be, very little can hurt it or stop it for that matter. Except a small pin. I had the JD across the street at my Father-in-laws and we were taking down a 50 foot Silver Maple tree that had split during a few storms and was in danger of falling on the house. Bruce had his chain saw, Dad was the eyes, Bruce's son what the lead rigger and I was running the loader. Seeing as the Maple was leaning toward the house.. the loader had to have the bucket lifted up to 3/4 of it's max, push against the tree and then roll the bucket to push the maple over and use the last 1/4 of the throw to finish the job.

We got the maple cut, started to roll and lift, and the loader bucket stopped moving. I could not drop the bucket, I couldn't lift the bucket and I couldn't shut down the loader.. the maple would have destroyed the loader and the house. I am sitting in the loader with my foot stomped on the brakes..

Seems we blew two small pins. Both case hardened pins, should never have broken, but did. Two hours I sat there waiting to Ray to get back from a job in Fredericton with his 5 ton auger truck. We needed the auger truck to pull the tree the opposite way and salvage the loader and the house.

Moral:

No matter how simple the job, or how confident one is of being able to do the job.. just like Murphy says, "Something always pops up in the equation to blow yer bubble", or "What can go wrong usually does"
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Is this what you had in mind?

Rick (having way too much fun) Dulas

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:05 pm

here are some pics
this is the hole it is 5' deep about 7' wide and 10' long

this is the root

this is the tractor

this is a rear pic of the tractor notice the backhoe is no longer level I have to see what is bent

this is a picture of where the 3 point hitch pin went. I have a regular drawbar pin holding it right now since the other is broke

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Glad your ok.

I have seen time take its toll on parts too. Maybe weathering and time took its toll on the pin.

As it happened were you in slow motion, thinking this is going to hurt? I ask this because all my dirtbike and quad accidents were in slow mode. One time i looked back when i was on my quad seeing the back rack vertical thinking this is gonna hurt thats the last thing i remember as i woke up in the water covered ice.

If you want to investigate this;

Where did you get the other pin from?

Did it shear?

We all can learn from this too.
Last edited by BigBill on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:18 pm

it was a standard cat 2 pin for the top link. It snapped between the 2 frames and I glad it did otherwise I would have been in that hole with the tractor on top of me.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Sounds like your guardian angel saved you for sure. I'm certain now it was.

I was snowplowing using a gravely tractor that had a starter generator with twin vee belts that were skin tight. My older brother just passed away and i had him on my mind that day. I was wearing the double layer G I army gloves and for some reason i reached near the belts while it was running, i guess to clear the snow away. Then my gloves/fingers went thru the pulleys with the belts. As it happened i seen the S/G housing push in and loosen the belts it happened that quick. I have no doubt as to what saved my hand that day....

There with us all the time protecting us.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:42 pm

I would have thought that cast housing would have failed long before a pin would

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Glad you are OK. :D Life can certainly change in an instant. :!:
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Were you really burying a horse?

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 am

BigBill wrote:Sounds like your guardian angel saved you for sure. I'm certain now it was.

I was snowplowing using a gravely tractor that had a starter generator with twin vee belts that were skin tight. My older brother just passed away and i had him on my mind that day. I was wearing the double layer G I army gloves and for some reason i reached near the belts while it was running, i guess to clear the snow away. Then my gloves/fingers went thru the pulleys with the belts. As it happened i seen the S/G housing push in and loosen the belts it happened that quick. I have no doubt as to what saved my hand that day....

There with us all the time protecting us.

I've been in that same area Bill but not so lucky, I had a trip to the ER with a finger sewed back on and another stiched :shock:

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:41 am

smigelski wrote:I would have thought that cast housing would have failed long before a pin would

If it were cast iron it would have failed... but it isn't. Many parts that are referred to as cast are really malleable iron castings that behave like steel... or even steel forgings. They're very different. Steering arms are an example.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce