This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO hard to disengage

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

PTO hard to disengage

Postby Trent M » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:00 am

The Cub that I would like to be the mowing tractor has a problem with the PTO disengaging. It engages just fine, but when you try to disengage it, it doesn't want to come out. I had to push on the lever real hard and then it finally disengaged. Clutch was in and PTO stopped, the lever just didn't want to disengage it. I'd like to solve this before I put the mower on, because there will be alot of PTO off-on of course. I'm also worried about it not disengaging at all sometime, so I've only tried it once.

I did a search, but I only found posts for the opposite problem, PTOs that won't stay engaged.
Trent McPeak

Tim Martin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20637
eBay ID: cub_parts_pro
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub, 1951 Farmall Cub, 1957 Copar Panzer T102, 1957 IH Lo-Boy, 2008 Kubota 2320

Postby Tim Martin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:10 am

This is just a guess, but do you think that there could be a groove wore around the PTO shaft making it difficult for the clutch to move? Have you taken the PTO out to examine the shaft and clutch assembly? There is not a whole lot to the Cub PTO assembly.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:48 am

Another guess... Have you tried backing the pulley up slightly to take the load off the splines?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:04 am

George- What pulley are you refering to? There is no pulley on the PTO right now. Its just a bare shaft.

I take it this problem is not too common? :?
Trent McPeak

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:14 am

My last uninformed guess... Maybe the set screw that's only intended to keep the clutch sleeve from falling off is snugged down?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:40 am

OK, I'll try to get more info for you. Any advice on a first step? Should I take out the PTO or take the shifter cover off? Both?
Trent McPeak

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:49 am

Trent,

Pulling the PTO out is easy, putting it back is only slightly more difficult. Removing the shifter cover won't tell you anything.

If in your predicament, I'd definitely pull the PTO and see what was up. Regardless of what you find, "while you have it out", I'd replace the bearing, seal and pilot bushing. None of these parts are overly expensive and relatively easy to remove and install, if you have access to a press.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21506
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:51 am

You won't see anything by taking the shifter cover off it is all through the rear end of the tractor, the only sure way to solve the problem is to take the PTO out and examine the shaft and clutch
Jim Turner

wade51ns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: B2R1V2

Postby wade51ns » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:17 pm

This may sound to simple but I had a similar experience and it was just the lever guide (attached to the bolt on top of the transmition cover) a little out of adjustment. Soon as I loosened it up everything worked ok.

Wade
Wade51NS