This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is This Black Cat?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Is This Black Cat?

Postby PageRob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:49 pm

It is! I am nearing the end of the tear-down phase. Those pedals were a PITA to get off. Lots of heat, lots of oil, lots of patience. Holy cow! Maybe on my next teardown day I can get the wheels off, pull off the final drives and axles. I don't think I'll pull apart the tranny, since things seem to work fine in there, I think it just needs a complete cleaning. Then its time to start cleaning stuff up, painting, and putting stuff back together!
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:18 pm

If you don't touch the tranny at least replace the pto pilot bushing. It's either worn badly or the light makes it look that way.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Hey Rob up there in Page...lookin'good 8) Hope you will keep posting pictures of Black Cat's progress ..Hey how about a Black Cub with a Federal Yellow starter. 8)
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm

As long as people are enjoying seeing pics of the progress, I'll keep posting 'em! :) That's an interesting idea...a black Cub. I was going to have some black on Black Cat, but never thought about a all-black Cub...would certainly fit the theme, though...and hide the grease! :D

BD: Dumb question, but is the PTO pilot bushing the round thing on the "inside" end of the PTO shaft?
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:42 pm

yep - it's the bushing inside the stub shaft at the rear of the transmission housing where the pto shaft and collar engage.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:01 pm

Looks like you are making good progress. Keep the pictures coming. :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:25 pm

PageRob wrote:As long as people are enjoying seeing pics of the progress, I'll keep posting 'em! :) That's an interesting idea...a black Cub. I was going to have some black on Black Cat, but never thought about a all-black Cub...would certainly fit the theme, though...and hide the grease! :D

BD: Dumb question, but is the PTO pilot bushing the round thing on the "inside" end of the PTO shaft?

YES!!!

Keep posting them. This gives the rest of us the inspiration to tear into our cubs. Plus, the pictures have the makings of a great "how to" in rebuilding your cub. I know that I wait in anticipation of every post with your pictures!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 am

making good headway on ol Black Cat I see. goo dluck with the rest

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 am

PageRob wrote: That's an interesting idea...a black Cub. I was going to have some black on Black Cat, but never thought about a all-black Cub...would certainly fit the theme, though...and hide the grease! :D

Rob,

The current plan is to paint RatCub black with red wheels and sheet metal. That won't happen until the weather breaks so I can pressure wash and do other cleaning and painting outdoors.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:05 pm

George Willer wrote:The current plan is to paint RatCub black with red wheels and sheet metal. That won't happen until the weather breaks so I can pressure wash and do other cleaning and painting outdoors.

That should look pretty sharp! I've been thinking of doing mainly red, with black cat logos on the dog ears, and a black grill tapering into a black teardrop on the hood with a pinstripe down to the instrument panel and black fins on the side of the hood, and black rear rims with red disks. Maybe a black seat too, unsure on that one yet.
-Old Spiritual

Return to “Farmall Cub”