This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Implement Lettering

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Implement Lettering

Postby PageRob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:25 am

Just jotting out the door earlier to day and stopped to look at my cultivators in the front yard. The light was hitting them in a different fashion than I've seen before, and one of the tool bars has CUB (something) on it, partially hidden underneath some other parts of the cultivator. Now I've seen people talk about decals and such for implements, but these letters look painted on. How were they originally applied at the factory? Paint? Or decal? If paint, does anyone have some decent close-up pictures of various lettering and numbering labels on the implements. I'm thinking of making some stencils to match the lettering, but that might be a waste of time if they were originally decals. But if not, then I have basically no reference for what the painted letters should look like except for "CUB" on my tool bar. See my dilemma?
Also, as you probably already know by now, I'm a newbie when it comes to farming type stuff. If I posted a picture of my plow, would y'all be able to tell A)if it has a replacable ?share (Plow Chief?)? B)if that share needs to be replaced? Thanks.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:33 am

Rob,

The labeling was quite likely CUB-144 and it was probably stenciled in yellow paint. Post some closeups of the share and point of your plow.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:46 am

Cool! After I took the picture of the cultivator lettering I was able to blow it up and see it better. CUB 144 indeed!

Anyway, here's the pics of my plow. Overview:

Close-up of the point:

From underneath:
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:46 am

As Don said, stenciled on with yellow paint. Probable wording was "Cub-144 Cultivator", on top of the right tool bar. I think it was more for convenience of the IH warehouses than anything else. Some later ones MAY have been stenciled in silver, not sure about that.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:53 am

Making up the stencils would be a neat project! :D

I have a set of universal mounting frames/A-144 cultivators I want to repaint and stencil at some point....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:57 am

I have a fairly late cultivator (white) that has Cub 144 and International in black decals. I got it in new condition as it was only used once since bought new in '74 but the paint has been chipped by handling and storage.

That is a single piece share, the early style. It looks like you have plenty of life left to the share and the landside. My share was worn right down to the frog, which is the heavy V-shaped part in the back that serves as the backbone for the moldboard, share and landslide. There is a part number on the back of the share. Could be an O 552.

Bob

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

I was looking through the paint committee decisions on the WHS (http://www.wisconsinhistory.org) and came across this one from 28 May 1956.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc/paint/display.asp?pageurl=I006_01.gif

It looks like implements before this date were stenciled or had a decal. After this date, everything had to have a decal. Depending on the age of the implement, it could have been decaled or stenciled.

Just some trivia to confuse things... :lol:

Rick (being helpful in my own special way) Dulas

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:05 pm

It would be nice to see the 1 001 878 R1, sample attached to the paint committee decision.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:25 pm

drspiff wrote:I was looking through the paint committee decisions on the WHS (http://www.wisconsinhistory.org) and came across this one from 28 May 1956.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/ihc/paint/display.asp?pageurl=I006_01.gif

Looks like what I remebered that might have been silver was actually white.

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:37 pm

Jim, are there any known treatments or remidies for decalcomania ?
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Arizona Mike wrote:Jim, are there any known treatments or remidies for decalcomania ?

Not unless you are willing to risk sticker shock.