This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New use for faulty IH replacement gas cap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

New use for faulty IH replacement gas cap

Postby pete1941 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:45 am

Well maybe everything isn't lost on the faulty replacement gas caps that IH offered. A friend of mine got one of the leaky ones that leaked pretty badly and sloshed gas all over the tank.

The Fix: He drilled out the rivets and used a cold chisel to get the mechanism out of the leaky replacement. He used the nice new gasket in the replacement on his old original gas cap and has been running it quite a lot with better than a half tank of gas. Guess what? NO LEAKS WHATSOVER. Ingenious thought on his part I think. Pete

Baydog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54017

Postby Baydog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:52 am

I ruined a new paint job and splashed gas all over with the original replacemnt cap. I also took off the gasket and modified the original (49) cap and it doesn't leak and no more scratchs on the paint. Now to get the hood repainted and it will be ok. It was kind of aggrevating though. Don
49 Cub
2910 Kubota
IH Collectors - Wisconsin Chapter #4

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:40 am

Just like in the Guinness commercials.... BRILLIANT!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:13 am

Baydog wrote:I ruined a new paint job and splashed gas all over with the original replacemnt cap. I also took off the gasket and modified the original (49) cap and it doesn't leak and no more scratchs on the paint. Now to get the hood repainted and it will be ok. It was kind of aggrevating though. Don
The safety caps came about because if the tank was overfull, it would spew out the top holes from vibration, heat expansion, or being on a slope, not because of leaks around the gasket. while a new gasket, which is available form dealers, will stop a leak around the cap to tank junction, it does not solve the original problem.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Baydog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54017

Postby Baydog » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks John I understand it now. I did get a replacement-replacement cap and will try that one when I get the critter out of the horse trailer. It has been cooped up all winter and I am hopeing it starts up ok. Don
49 Cub

2910 Kubota

IH Collectors - Wisconsin Chapter #4