This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stubborn spark plugs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Box end wrench 4 pound hammer to beat on the wrench, (CAREFULLY) to crack the seal, then you can get the lube down to the threads. work the plug back and forth a little at a time then let it sit a while to cool back down. don't take it all in one pass, the threads will heat up and "weld" or strip!
Probably not supposed to put never seize on the new plugs, but I always do in every engine I have to work on!--all brand's--all size engine's! thanks; sonny

flyawa
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66701
Tractors Owned: .
1 1948 Cub
2 1950 Cubs
1 1951 Cub
1 1952 Cubs
1942 Farmall H
1939 Ford 9N
1930 John Deere D
1941 John Deere B
1948 Allis Chalmers C
1956 Farmall 400
1945 Chrysler Airport Tug
Location: KS, Fort Scott (S.E. Kansas - Home of the people of the south wind; the Kansa)

funny story

Postby flyawa » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:16 am

I always use anti seize on the threads. A non-mechanical friend asked me that question once and I assured him that it was a good idea particularly if in an aluminum head. I did not however caution him about how much anti seize to use. He stuck the plugs down in the can about an inch deep and then installed them. He then called me about why his truck would not start. I never thought about asking if the electrodes were completely filled in with anti seize. I went over to his house thinking he might have switched wires around. I noticed a big wad of anti seize around the plug base and began asking questions. After cleaning the plugs in the parts washer the truck ran fine. If properly applied (tiny bit in threads only) it's a great idea. BTW it's mandatory in installing plugs in aircraft.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tnestell » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:35 pm

Recently I got a 1980 Dodge with a 318. It is owned by a 90 year old man who bought it new. It had sat for 12 years and has 13 thousand miles on it. He complained that it had a miss. The right bank sparks plugs had been left loose at the factory. Used an impact wrench to remove the plugs. Replaced them and the miss was gone.

gb19711
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19711
Tractors Owned: 63 Farmall Cub
65 Deere RF 110
73 Deere SF 110
77 Deere 208
77 Yanmar YM2210D

Postby gb19711 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice. Sorry my response has taken so long. I did get the plugs changed - it took me around 5 hours over 2 days though. I ended up switching to Kroil and using two different brand combination wrenches since they had different "teeth" and allowed for better positioning working one after the other. It was slow and tedious work - Spray - work back and forth - Spray - work back and forth. I ended up breaking one of the tops off an old plug and it was the toughest one to boot (third from the front behind the manifold/exhaust. I didn't take the hood off as I didn't want to open another "can of worms" if I didn't have to. And as usual the last plug took 10 minutes total! Thanks again for your help! :D
Greg

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 pm

moe1942 wrote:I guess hammering on ones wrenches is like a poor mans impact..:)

Them hammers were around long before Impacts were invented and YES they work pretty well I may add. 8) 8) :wink: Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints