This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

smoke and associated concern

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

smoke and associated concern

Postby ozimmerman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:02 pm

My cub has been smoking (whitish) when I start it recently. I have assumed that it is condensation or something related to the cold. I goes away after a few minutes, but there is alot of it when initially. I became more concerned yesterday when I noticed a small amount of very tiny (pin prick sized) black droplets on the sheet metal adjacent to the funnel. I stuck my finger in the funnel (it was cool at the time...) and there is some black buildup in the funnel. When I put my hand over the pipe, I was not finding anything on my hand. Now I have never checked the inside of the funnel before, so I don't know if it is normal to have some buildup there and I don't know when the black droplets appeared. Any ideas what I might be looking at?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:41 pm

If you're not losing coolant or smelling antifreeze in the smoke, it is probably just condensation.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ozimmerman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:09 pm

I'll have to check the coolant, although I have a seperate coolant leak in the radiator that I haven't fixed so it may be a little hard to tell where loss is coming from. What would be the connection (I am mechanically illiterate... though trying to learn)? What about the black deposits? Is that a relatively normal occurance?

schmibm
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby schmibm » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:38 pm

Not sure what you mean by "funnel" unless you are talking about the exhaust pipe. If that is it, then yes it is very common to have black soot from the combustion process. This is why you change oil. This black soot is mixing with the condensation in the cold iron during the startup and causing it to collect on the hood and any adjacent surfaces.

Perfectly normal.
1949 Project Cub
1955 Cub Lo-Boy "Jack"
1957 Cub Lo-Boy "Mac"
1957 Cub with 5' Woods Belly Mower "James"
24 other Farmalls A thru SMTA.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:27 pm

The connection would be coolant loss into the combustion chamber such as through a crack in the head into the combustion chamber. You would have white smoke but also the sweet smell of anti-freeze which would be an indication it was from the coolant system rather than just condensation.
The black soot in the exhaust is a common condition. If you're running a rich fuel mixture it gets worse.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:25 am

The increased condensation of cold weather operation has a tendency to scrub soot from the exhaust pipe. The black specs you're seeing are very common in cold weather.

ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ozimmerman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:33 pm

thanks for the replies. The funnel is what some would call the muffler I guess :)

RI Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02830

Postby RI Cub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:55 pm

"he funnel is what some would call the muffler I guess "

Just don't pour gas down the that funnel..(!)