This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

LH Final Drive Off, Clean, and Inspected!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

LH Final Drive Off, Clean, and Inspected!

Postby Corky's Cub » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:29 pm

After my Grand-buddy Tyler and I piddled around in the shop on Saturday, I went back in today to take a closer look at the final drives.

It took me about three hours to set up my parts washer tub to hold the final drive, but the tub and compressed air solvent sprayer worked great removing a half-century of sandy loam soil and grease caked all over it.

The only outside damage to the unit is a dent in the drive housing pan about the size of an egg, and less than a 1/2" deep. It'll hammer out just fine. The pleasant surprise came when I pulled the pan:

The gear is in perfect shape! the gear lube was also in super shape, a nice clear brown...two minutes of spraying with the air sprayer, and the gear looks brand new!

Inside and out! About the only damage I can see on the final drive is some wear on the drive shaft from a bad tranny seal:

The closeup shows the indented ring from the bad seal, probably ground into the shaft by the seal spring:

I've checked with Ralph and he has plenty of replacement drive shafts, so everyone take a look and tell me what you think!

Tomorrow I'm tackling the right final drive, (and hopefully getting started on the tranny), and will post pictures of what I find there!

Corky
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:56 pm

before i would replace that shaft I would clean that area up with some Emory cloth and see if the new seal lips didn't fall in that nice shiny clean area. just a thought, Scot

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Yogie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:45 pm

I'll back up Scot on this one or maybe check into a new sleeve to cover it.
Their pretty cheep and do a great job.