This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine Overhaul questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Engine Overhaul questions

Postby Ron » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:34 pm

Hi All,

I bought a 1951 Cub a couple of months ago and discovered that its compression was low, in the 70,s.
Today I started taking it a part and now have the #1 piston out.

Without a bore gauge is there any way to determine the size of the bore?
Have any of you guy,s been sucessful in just honing and installing new rings and bearings? Lapping the valves also.

I took a look at the rod bearing and it is STD, maybe this is its first rebuild.

It probably would be better to just break it a part and have it bored and all.

As you can see I'm trying to do it in a way that requires the least amount of money and labor.

Any suggestions wouls be appreciated !!

Thnaks,

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:20 pm

First clue is to look at the ridge at the top of each cylinder. It will tell you how much the cylinder has worn since the last rebore, honing or whatever was last done. If there is little wear and no evidence of previous engine work, a honing and new rings is probably adequate. But getting the cylinders carefully measured is a good idea in any case.

Return to “Farmall Cub”