This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stalling Advice

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Bigdog wrote:I'd put a kit in it.

Be sure you use a genuine CaseIH kit. Accept no substitutes.

I'd also soak it in Berryman Chem-Dip for a couple of days and run a thin, soft copper wire through all the openings and orifices. Then adjust everything in accordance with the carburetor and governor sections of the Owner's and Service Manuals.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:44 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
Bigdog wrote:I'd put a kit in it.

Be sure you use a genuine CaseIH kit. Accept no substitutes.

I'd also soak it in Berryman Chem-Dip for a couple of days and run a thin, soft copper wire through all the openings and orifices. Then adjust everything in accordance with the carburetor and governor sections of the Owner's and Service Manuals.

I don't know if I'd let it soak for 2 days as the instructions call for 30 minutes. On the other hand, I don't think 30 minutes is long enough, either. :shock: :shock: For extremely dirty parts, overnight should do.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

CubYel-Lo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44233
Tractors Owned: 1965 Int'l Cub Lo-Boy

Postby CubYel-Lo » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:48 pm

I was just looking at the lurker's carb articles linked in the how-to section and it showed how the gasket could interfere with the float and air hole as well as the adjustments to make so I guess I'll have to take it off and apart tomorrow...I always suspect the last thing I did as the problem.. This tractor ran fine with a piece of folded paper shoved in and tightened down where a part of the old gasket was missing..Never should've messed with it but since I was ordering the throwout and yokes, I spent another $5 on a new gasket and here I am.. I know I read it here on this forum...Something like -The dreaded 5 words..-'As long as it's apart' Oh well, thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted..
'65 LoBoy w/FastHitch
Hand Crank,
59 Woods Mower,
Sickle Bar, Belly Blade,
Neighbor's Borrowed Front Blade,
Discs, Single-Bottom Plow,
Homemade-looking Fast-Hitch Lift Platform

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Denny ('60 Lo-Boy) wrote:[I don't know if I'd let it soak for 2 days as the instructions call for 30 minutes. On the other hand, I don't think 30 minutes is long enough, either. :shock: :shock: For extremely dirty parts, overnight should do.

Denny,

I've left extremely dirty carbs in the can for over a week, with absolutely no ill effects.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:42 am

I had one of those carb cleaning systems and the older liquid(green/yellow can) could eat the chrome off a trailer hitch while the newer stuff (napa) hardley works at all. I guess everything is going green now you know enviromentally safe. My carbs overnite would look like brand new the next day.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

CubYel-Lo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CubYel-Lo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:44 am

Thanks everybody for all the help, I took the carb off -which looked all wet from leaking- and took it apart, my head full of all the great info from this board and site..Took everything out and cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air.. Everything seemed to be unrestricted/clear and shouldn't have been the problem.. Then I adjusted the float with instructions linked thru this site -it was a bit off (~.050")in the height and more in the drop.. Then I started to put it back together and couldn't get out of my mind what my buddy here at work (who showed me this site-thanks Jack) said about too much air/lean..Well then as I put the top back on, I noticed (because of all I've read on this site) how warped it was where I had shoved folded-up paper previously. :roll: Then it hit me: :idea: Too much air+ warped surface=only runs when choked! So I'm sorry guys, it was getting late, my son and I had yet to get some dinner, and I'm cheap, so I folded some paper, shoved it under the warped spots and tightened up the top screws. I put it back on the tractor, hooked it all up, it fired right up and ran like a champ. :D I went out and plowed a little to check it out, put it back in the barn and went in to get my son for dinner about 8:30.. What a relief but I suppose I should get a new carb 'cause this one looks too warped to just sand it flat..Thanks again Everyone!
'65 LoBoy w/FastHitch
Hand Crank,
59 Woods Mower,
Sickle Bar, Belly Blade,

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:28 am

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24475

Above is an article/post on straightening the carb top. I believe there are several more articles/posts on straightening the carb top on the How To section of this forum.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:30 am

CubYel-Lo,

I sent you a PM.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

CubYel-Lo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CubYel-Lo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks Don.. I think I'm going to make the jig at work and try straightening the top myself when I can take off the carb..Probably when the weather's a bit nicer and I can get a couple of hours of QBT (Quality Barn Time). Sorry I can't reply to the PM at home here 'cause it's my work account that your message went to.. Thanks again, -SteveoLo
'65 LoBoy w/FastHitch
Hand Crank,
59 Woods Mower,
Sickle Bar, Belly Blade,

CubYel-Lo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CubYel-Lo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:05 pm

Here's the LoBoy split to do the throwout a couple of weeks ago..Don't let the sun fool you -it was only about 17 degrees out there..Image
'65 LoBoy w/FastHitch
Hand Crank,
59 Woods Mower,
Sickle Bar, Belly Blade,