This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mag or not?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
batty54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035

Mag or not?

Postby batty54 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:12 pm

I went to look at a few cubs this weekend. One is has screen front grill the other is a 4 bar white grill.
My question is whether the 4 bar should have a mag or distributor? They were buried in a barn and I could not get to the serial number plates or the business side of the engine.

The owner said his father took apart the mag and fixed it....... turned out to be the carb was full of gunk. The carb was reassembled without a kit and didn't run well enough to use but was able to get back in the barn. That was a few years ago. It does have a battery box with a dead battery looked like a 6 volt. I was not trying to pay too much attention to them because I was there looking at another tractor. I will get into negotiations later with the owner on the cubs. His price was way too high on the one I was after so I am guessing the cubs are going to be too.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:45 pm

At one time the four bar grill was the standard replacement so it would be difficult to use that as reference. About the only good way is with the serial number.

batty54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035

Postby batty54 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks Cecil, I will try to get a number on them both before Joe and I get there for the carb fest.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:48 pm

Cecil's right. The 4 bar grill came on Cubs from '58-'63. By this time many grills on the earlier tractors were either lost or damaged. I got a '48 and a '49 at an auction in December. The '48 is ALL original down to the working headlights and complete battery box. The '49 has an aftermarket battery box, underslung exhaust, '55-57 hood/tank (incl. stainless Lo-Boy emblems), and a 4 bar grill.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”