This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sowing some Grass

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Weav27
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sowing some Grass

Postby Weav27 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:25 pm

Just an idea. I really like the set up that WKPoor posted a pic of that showed a 3 pt broadcast spreader on the back of a Cub. I believe that the set up used the worksaver 3 pt hitch and a pto direction changer/ speed reducer. Since we just built a new house last fall there will be plenty of landscaping and yard to make this spring. Looks like our plan is an acre of yard and a couple will just get overseeded with winter rye or oats for the time being.
My question is that I want to fabricate a mount on the rear drawbar for a used spreader and am not sure how to put the power to it. I do not have a pto direction changer/ speed reducer and do not plan on buying one. So, using the pto would make it pretty fast and it would run in the oposite direction, correct? Another idea was to use a planter disk/gear that mounts to the rear axel casting and make it a ground driven set up. I do not have one of these gears, and am not sure how it would work. This is all just in the planning stages to save some time this spring. Too busy with the snow to rip into a big project right now so I am just looking for some opinions. Feel free to tear my idea apart and offer any advice.
Working on tractors is a true test of one's ability to balance patience and temper.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:02 pm

For a one-time job like seeding a new lawn, perhaps something like this would better suit your needs. I'm sure you could figure out a way to solidly attach it to the drawbar. :idea:

http://www.agri-fab.com/spreader45_0187.html
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:07 pm

Well here goes my idea- Mount a jack shaft directly below your pto set between your axles so as to line up 2 pulleys sized to a ratio of 3-1. The saft will have on the business end 1 3/8" standard slpine. A spreader like mine ( now I'm mostly sure about this) :lol: you can turn the paddles around so it will throw in the opposite direction as you'll be turing the spreader gearbox the opposite direction. Without something gear driven you can't change the pto rotation so you'll be stuck with counter rotating pto. My spreader gearbox (now I'm mostly sure about this) :lol: can go either way. Now, if all that sound to messy you could mount an electric motor driven spreader and even if your tractor isn't 12V a spare batt would probably get the job done. It wouldn't be to hard to hard mount something like that behind. I considered that option before what I did. With all this said, what drove me to the set-up you saw pictured was after about 2 seasons of pushing a broadcast spreader I decided there had to be a better way. I can load enough fertilizer in that unit to do easily 5acres or more without reloading. Takes longer to mount and fill than to spead. Worked so well that I got my neihbors together and I do everyones yard at once. Also If you don't already know this, Core type plug first and you'll get 98% yield on your seed.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:05 pm

You probably can't do anything useful with a link as long as the one at the bottom of this post. Go to http://www.northerntool.com and look at their grounds maintenance section. They have an ATV mounted spreader that runs on 12 volts, would be more than adequate for a couple acres. If you want to follow up on the PTO driven approach, you can probably hook one up directly and just idle along in second gear.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=743096&categoryId=160

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:09 pm

Look for a post from Ralph from KY. (Ralph Napier) He had a spreader for sale which he built up for one of his cubs. Located in northern KY. Near the greater Cincy airport.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:59 pm

Hello Bigdog 8) and all Y'All
I read the board every day just havn't been posting much.
I do still have the seed sower for sale . I am asking $275. for it.
It is simple to mount runs off the PTO and works as good as anyone could hope for. :P
I also have several other cub implements for sale. :!:

Thanks all
:arrow:

Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 pm

Now Thats a NO Brainer!!! Good job BigDogy for finding that site. You must have a mamory I mean memory like an elephant. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:58 pm

You just have to know the people with the pretty tractors and nice toys!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Weav27
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Weav27 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:39 am

Thanks for all the advice. I like the jackshaft idea WK. It was something like what I had in mind. I have a relative with a spreader just waiting for me to take it. I was hoping that those paddles would be reversible. A smaller 12v unit will be lacking in the long run as I will most likely be using it on larger fertilizer jobs on the back 30 if all goes well. Ralph, that looks like it would do a great job. If I didn't already have some of the parts needed I would definately be giving you a call. Hopefully I can get some pics posted this spring if all goes well.
Working on tractors is a true test of one's ability to balance patience and temper.

Return to “Farmall Cub”