This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH READYPOWER questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TimT
10+ Years
10+ Years

IH READYPOWER questions

Postby TimT » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:06 pm

We have an IHC "ReadyPower" gasoline powered generator we are rebuilding-restoring now. It has an IH engine, the same as a Cub as far as we can tell. This appears to be a 1938 or so vintage machine. Does the Cub engine have any connections to Continental Engines in the past?? It's neat little machine. When I was a kid my family operated a 2500 acre green bean farm. We used to have the generator in an old buss we used as a mobile shop during picking season to maintain the 10 IH-Chisom Ryder bean pickers we owned. My dad does not remember how or where we got the old generator. anyone know anything about them or the history of them?? I have some pics i'll post here later. thanks TimT.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:50 pm

Tim, the C-60 (cub) engine is much different than the continental engine of similar size (N-62). The C-60 is all IH, 3 main crank, bigger pistons, and all around more durable than the continental.
I don't think the C-60 was built before 1947 ( the Jims should be able to tell for sure) when the cub came out, but IH did buy in engines for some applications if they didn't build an engine they felt suited the purpose.

The engine ser# would help identify the make, model, and year of the power unit.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

TimT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TimT » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:15 pm

Partsman, Yes sir, we think it is a late forties or early fifties vintage engine. I did some more research and it sure is a Cub engine. I will get the serial number tommarow as they are up at the shop. It is a neat little generator. The engine needs rings but the bearings are like new. it should be an easy job. just some blasting and paint and some tlc. Tim.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:13 am

The first Cubs were built in '47. Power units made from that engine would have been abailable then or shortly afterwards. Early power units were model U-1, later were UC-60. IH had used a Continental engine in that size range on combines, balers and maybe some other applications. They used the IY-69 quite a bit. I don't know whether they used the N-62 or not. The N-62 was used by AC in their model G. Last weekend I had the chance to look over a John Bean G-1000, which is a sort of knock off of an AC G. It was powered by a Cub engine. It was evidently a special order by Bean directly to Harvester as the model id on the tag was "UC-60 JOHNBEAN".

I don't have a serial number list for the power units. Maybe somebody else on here does. You should be able to get pretty close on the engine age from the date code cast into the block. Even the part number of the block would help narrow it down.

Any of the bean pickers still around? Seems like I remember most of them being mounted on Farmall 230s.

TimT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TimT » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:46 am

Jim, Thanks for the info!! the casting stamp is a V. which is 1951. That says it all. I think the high boy pickers we had were on 504's here is a pic of me many years ago now. Picking beans. The older pickers had 10 horse Kohler's on them to drive the blower. Man that thing would make you deaf in one summer!!! Right behind your head and wide open. Image

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:52 am

TimT, how about posting some pictures of you Readypower someplace. I'd like to see it. Or better yet, bring it to Red Power this summer!!!
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:34 pm

I'd forgotten about the fan engine. Here is a picture I took at RPR last year. The serial plate id'ed it as a Chisholm-Ryder special order. I believe it is a 340 and I assume it started out as a bean picker. It's hard to tell if the tractors in TimT's picture are the same. Note that the front axles are different.

TimT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TimT » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:07 am

Jim, long before my time our farm was the very first to test the prototype Chisholm Ryder Bean Picker. The first ones we had were mounted on modified super C's. Then the 340's came along both low and high boy versions. I may be wrong but I think the last of the two row machines were mounted on 504's. All of the tractors were special builds for C-R. I ran all the models thru the years. We were one of many large farms that grew green beans in westrern NY state. But the growing season and other reasons caused most of the farms to shut down or move south. They could get at least two plantings in other areas. The last pickers I was on were three row machines built with a picker drums mounted on the front of the machine just like a combine. They were JD powered and all hydrostatic. big machines. even had hyd 4 wheel assist on them. Tim.

Return to “Farmall Cub”