This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Engine Rebuild

Postby Harold R » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 am

While rebuilding the engine on the basket case cub, I've come across several difference in engine componets, especially over the last two engines I've done myself.

Pistons.
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=1&uid=314
What I noted the most was the skirt diferences. Some had ridges in different places, some had no lip at all. The far left is the "fire Crater", and the far right is a .030 over, which is going in the basket case cub. Those in between are anybody's guess.

Wrist pin retainers.
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=421&pos=19
With the one on the right, eye protect is highly recommended during removal AND installation. These things will launch at the speed of heat...never to be seen again. The one on the left is user friendly, and quick to get in and out.

Rod Bearings.
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?album=421&pos=21
The one on the right,(narrowest) is for the rod associated with the firecrater piston. The rods have different part numbers, so be careful when ordering. The narrow one will fit in the regular rod and cap, but causes an uneven torque on the crankshaft. I tried swapping the rods out,
but it seems there was a difference in size of the wrist pin, or the associated bushing.

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 pm

I found out differnces the hard way.The engines look the same but are not.My 1947 cub that i rebilt,was differnt than the 1975 185 lowboy.Pistons and rod bearings were the biggest difference.I enjoyed doing both of them.More fun with the 47 cub cause it was mine.The other was a labor trade off.The guy was going to sell that tractor,but it runs to well to get rid of he says. :D :D Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Engine

Postby Russ Leggitt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Harold,

The biggest difference I saw in viewing your pictures is that it appears you have a five cylinder cub. Don't think any of mine have five. LOL

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Years past people would expand the skirt of a piston so as not to have to replace pistons when boring the cylinder and using over sized rings. Hey when cash is light people do what they have to do
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 pm

I just found it curious as to why the different design on the skirts. I don't know if the pistons were all manufactored by I/H or not. But all 5 were different. I think the middle piston was standard, others I couldn't tell. The far right one was .030, and it had a 1/8 notch machined in it. Had to serve some purpose???