This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Implement questions seed planter and cultivators

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566
Circle of Safety: Y

Implement questions seed planter and cultivators

Postby prjones » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:50 pm

I talked to some one who told me they had a Cub seed planter they would like to sell that is dismantled. I did not see it. Is this the Cub Runner Planter 174? Is there anything I should look for or would be missing and what would be price to offer? They also had two sets of Cultivators one with shanks and one without I do not know what he is talking about could someone clear this up for me and any idea of price to offer? thanks .
All hat and no cattle.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 pm

There are a couple of the Planter Manuals on the server, as well as the CBI series Parts Manuals. They have most of the parts blowups as well as the parts names, and numbers.

If you have a laptop, suggest you download the jpegs and take them with you to go see the planter/fertilizer. That way you will be able to figure out what it is onsite and make sure the parts are all there. No sense paying top dollar if much of it is missing..

Just a thought..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:11 pm

They come off the tractor in pieces. So unless you buy one on a tractor, it will be dismantled. The most common lost part is probably the drive sprocket that mounts on the tractor rear axle. As Rudi suggested, take the manual with you when you go look at it, hard copy or on a computer.

Shanks on a cultivator are the parts that drop down from the tool bars and hold the sweeps or shovels. You may find them in the parts breakdown as "tools."

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 pm

Here is a pic of mine all spread out. It is a 172 planter with 53A fertilizer unit, but the 174 would look almost identical. The gear Jim B refered to is lying to the upper left of the planter plates. Oh yeah, look for planter plates. Keep in mind this one has the fertilizer unit with the deep applicator and covering bar. The one you are going to look at might be different (or might not have the fertilizer attachment at all). There were no row markers with mine, but if they are there grab them. They are big $$. As far as price goes, that's hard for me to say. I paid alot for mine, but it came with free Cub, Woods 59, cultivators, plow, disk harrow, and various other things. :lol: :lol: 8) 8) I picked the stuff up in 2 trips, got the planter and cultivators first. I posted this pic to get advice on what to look for when I went back to get the rest of it. Also gave me a chance to look at the manuals with the planter in-hand.

Forgot the pic:

Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:11 pm

While I'm at it, I also have a pic of complete 144 cultivator set. The rear toolbars are in the foreground - left side. The front toolbars are kind of at the top. They are still connected to the Universal Mounting Frame (the UFM is needed to mount both the cultivators AND planter). The "shanks" or tools are attached to the toolbars. Also there are the shields and disk hillers. In the far back is the rear rockshaft and lift rod which are not really considered part of the cultivator, you probably already have them for your tractor. If not, look for them too!!

Oops, pic:

Trent McPeak

prjones
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08848
Tractors Owned: 58 Cub
59 Loboy
73 Cub blue&orange
107 Cub Cadet
IH 340 Utility
Kubota L3800
Gravely 566

Postby prjones » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Thanks for the photo, printed and took it with me. The seller told me it was complete he had bought it years ago, never used it but had it sandblasted and painted. He has retired and moving so wants to sell excess. He had parts all over. We found all but the two gears that are wired together in photo, the tractor gear and the hoppers. He is sure he has the hoppers but remembers that he had scraped an old school bus and thinks the hoppers were in that. He feels terrible. He is sure that he has seen the tractor gear. May go back tomorrow, We found 7 seed plates. How hard are the hoppers to find any idea what I could offer?
All hat and no cattle.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:06 pm

You can expect to pay a good price for the hoppers, unless you get lucky and stumble across them at an auction or something like that. Brian (cubguy47) has (or had) a nice seed hopper on his website. New fertilizer bins are still available fom ~$280, I believe. That's probably the fiberglass one. The galvanized ones will show up on eBay once in a while, but conditions vary and the nice ones will go high $. The drive gear is also going to run you some $$, expect more than $50, maybe quite a bit more.

To tell you the truth, I don't know what those 2 gears wired together are for. I've not had the planter on a tractor yet.

As you can see, completing a planter that is missing parts can run into some big $$. So bid accordingly.
Trent McPeak

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 pm

The 2 loose sprockets are probably for changing feed rates. Part numbers would probably answer the question pretty quickly. When you start looking for a seed can, keep in mind that there were several different ones and the part of the frame it attaches to varys accordingly.

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Trent M » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Ah yes. Thanks Jim. I'll check the parts book. They probably replace 2 that are already installed to change rates. I was wondering about that.
Trent McPeak

68427vette
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 68427vette » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:20 pm

great pics, want to sell??!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:26 pm

Take your time in finding one.Took me a while.I now have everything to plant with.Took a little time to find plates and other stuff.PM if ya need help or ya can call me.PM me first Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 pm

prjones:

If Brian or any of our other sponsors/members do not have em, then you may have to hit eBay. I would try our members/sponsors first though. But there was a gear on :eBay: the other day..

FARMALL CUB PLANTER OR SIDE DRESSER DRIVE SPROCKET

It went for Winning bid: US $83.00

As for the Hoppers... well Wengers has this one:

IH FARMALL CUB SUPER A 140 FERTILIZER HOPPER

and you can Imageprice: US $495.00

A little patience, a dedicated search string and some time you should be able to get the pieces you need.

Search Strings:

Cub Fertilizer Hoppers

You might want to also check out DE Farmall Cubs, Teresa and her hubby have a lot of interesting Cub parts, and sometimes you can catch what you want on a Image cheaply before somebody bids.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:18 pm

I'll sell ya a sprocket for that.I have a spare!!!Rud ,I saw that and laughed!!Be patient something will turn up.Last year I planted with a Earthway Planter.Did a OK job!!!I got my planter plates the day later.Oh WELL!!!!Need help My email is kevin85glide@yahoo.com Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!