This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast Hitch Rear Blade Update

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Fast Hitch Rear Blade Update

Postby drspiff » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:59 pm

Howdy All! I got the rear blade assembled and loaded onto Blue Boy's Fast Hitch. Here is a shot of the mounted blade. Does that look like a calendar cover or what??!!

This shows the blade mounted and as originally designed.

I have not yet incorporated any of Jim Becker's ideas about variable blade angle, but will probably do so during the next re-design. Re-design? Whatever for? How does one improve on perfection? Well... it turns out that the initial design already had the ability to vary the vertical blade angle. This was an undocumented design feature that was not appreciated until it was seen.

You may recall that the 3/4" stainless steel bolt attaching the rear blade to the Fast Hitch arm was parallel to the front face of horizontal blade mounting angle iron in the earlier thread. After a few minutes moving some wet sand in the backyard, I noticed the blade angle had changed. Here is a shot looking at the Fast Hitch/rear blade attachment point showing the axis of the bolt in both the As Built and As Bent conditions.

As is typical in this kind of engineering endeavor, improving the rear blade attachment will move the failure point somewhere else. But that is ok, as long as I can move the failure point above the working threshold. The reason the Fast Hitch vertical support is so chewed up is I used the arm and a piece of chain to lift and transport rear wheel weights from the "3 Cubs" roadtrip. I believe that the arm and the frame holding the blade are basically sound designs and will fail well above the intended working limit.

To correct the blade attachment failure, I'm planning on adding another horizontal angle iron below the blade verticals. This new horizontal piece will act as the lower anchor for a new vertical strap that will go up and wrap over the pivot point. Here is a sketch of the proposed mods. This is looking at the end of the blade. The portions in gray are existing and the gold items are the mods.

I think these mods will be enough to make the back blade a useful tool. We'll see what happens after the mods are added and field tested.

Rick (this is almost like engineering) Dulas

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:06 am

Good job. The blue paint is neat too.

TJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72455

Postby TJ » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:44 am

nice job :thumbsup: BTW can you move the chain links to set the angle?
1972int.cub , c-3 int mower , 54a blade
1950 M farmall "under construction"

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary who would know? from uncle johns bathroom reader

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:08 pm

TJ wrote:nice job :thumbsup: BTW can you move the chain links to set the angle?

Absolutely. That was one of the reasons for using chain instead of wire rope or a tie rod. In the earlier thread on this fast Hitch implementation you can see the turn buckles that take up the tension on the chain. By shortening the chain on one side and lengthening the other, this blade can be adjusted as much as 30 degrees from normal. It turns out that lengths of the chain sides of the triangle only vary a couple of inches from the zero angle setting to 30 degrees. Notice the extra chain looped between the turnbuckles. There is enough extra to allow a 30 degree swing either side of center. The chain was a suggestion from a friend and I think it worked brilliantly.

Rick (willing to steal any good idea) Dulas