This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil Coming Out Of Breather

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
perk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Ford 2N

Oil Coming Out Of Breather

Postby perk » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:48 pm

Does anyone know what might be causing this oil to be coming from my breather. It has been doing it since I bought the cub two years ago. I spoke to a tractor mechanic about it and he said that is a common problem with the early cubs. He said that is because the fill tube is so low on that engine. He said that later years of cubs they put a baffle on the dip stick to help with this problem.
Just want to see if any of you are having this oil leak. Could my oil pressure be to high? I will try to post another picture of my oil gauge. My oil pressure is pegged to the right until I warm it up good. And then it idles at the halfway mark. It runs great and only smokes a small amount at times. Your thoughts please.
48 Farmall Cub and 47 Ford 2N

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:54 pm

Perk - your oil pressure will have nothing to do with that problem. Check your oil level to make sure it's not over filled. I suspect that the short fill tube might be adding to the problem. You could consider replacing it with the long tube and dipstick. Another thing to check is the crankcase vent tube. Make sure it is open and venting pressure out of the crankcase.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

perk
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Ford 2N

Postby perk » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:57 pm

And here is a picture of my oil pressure. It stays here until I warm it up good and then only drops to half gauge.

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Perk, I would also check your hydraulic fluid to make sure the pump isn't leaking and dumping HyTran in to the crankcase. Pete

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Bigdog is on the money as usual the only thing i would add to Bigdogs statement is if I found the vent tube free and clear and excessive amounts of pressure there I would suspect blow by the compression rings. and do a compression test. this will also cause the problem your having

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:05 am

Your Machanic friend was right, That was A common Prob,, and IH did put A washer on the dipstick as a bafil to keep oil blow down. Then they legnthen the tube. Be sure your dip stick is faceing the right way. To the lower side. the other way will add about a pint. and also the tube BD mentioned

perk
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Ford 2N

Postby perk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Thanks you guys for this information. I will check these things out.