This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ugly E-Tank question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ugly E-Tank question.

Postby Uncle Mike » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:35 pm

I tried making the E-tank last week end, works great. I had an extra water tank for the steers that I borrowed from them. No objections on thier side as wet as its been. Used a Battery charger and a ugly old piece of 1/4 plate that I had in the way, and it worked great, but it is UGLY.

Ended up using a garbage can as it could hold more.

Now to the question. If you reverse the polarity can you plate something? My wife is going through the "Antiques" she had to pull from her stall in a shop that went under, and she has this UGLY gold plated dish. She wants me to plate a gas cap for the tractor.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:51 pm

Move the gold from the plate to the cap? You might get some but plate is very thin and usually on to a copper plated base first. Might the ugliest combination you ever did see. Besides You will have a deal getting it only on the side that shide that shows. Is it an origional cap or the new replacement type?
Do a google on gold plating and you wiil get the whole deal.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Uncle Mike,
Take a look at this thread by Donny M.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18157&highlight=copper

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Ugly E-Tank question.

Postby Donny M » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 pm

Uncle Mike wrote:I tried making the E-tank last week end, works great. I had an extra water tank for the steers that I borrowed from them. No objections on thier side as wet as its been. Used a Battery charger and a ugly old piece of 1/4 plate that I had in the way, and it worked great, but it is UGLY.

Ended up using a garbage can as it could hold more.

Now to the question. If you reverse the polarity can you plate something? My wife is going through the "Antiques" she had to pull from her stall in a shop that went under, and she has this UGLY gold plated dish. She wants me to plate a gas cap for the tractor.

The polarity remains the same.
8)

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:46 pm

I played with trying to copper plate with my little soda bottle e-tank. I managed to get it to sorta work, but its a thin layer and can practically be rubbed off with a rag. Might be possible if you played around with it a while. Might need different chemicals too.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

2cubs2cases
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2cubs2cases » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:52 pm

There was a guy that advertised in the Shotgun news who sold plating kits. I bought one once and used it to nickel plate a trigger. It worked good and came with instructions.
1956 Farmall Cub,1952 Cub Hi Crop, 1959 Case 420b, 1960 Case 530ck Backhoe

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:19 pm

There is an outfit on the net called Caswell Plating that sells kits to do various kinds of plating. I've never used one of their kits but they have been on the net for 10 years or so. They even have a little gold brush setup that will allow you to electroplate gold without cyanide or whatever serious chemical is used for gold.

Not an endorsement, just an observation. However, I have bought their buffing compound bars and buffs for the polishing machine. And it is first class stuff. A little while ago, I posted a picture of the light switch for the '51 that was polished using their materials. Total time was 6 or 7 minutes. Here is the link to the image

Rick (Bling on a Cub?) Dulas

Uncle Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Too bad, can't destroy an ugly plate.

Postby Uncle Mike » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:49 pm

Oh well, she will try selling it at a flea market. Thanks for the info.