This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Worn / split exhaust valve

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737
Circle of Safety: Y

Worn / split exhaust valve

Postby redfin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:58 pm

Guys

:tractor:

1969 flat face

I did a compression test as in a previous post.
3 cylinders were around 145 which I am fine with.

The last one was 45 with no difference in psi for the wet test.
I turned the engine so both valves were closed and shot air into the low psi cylinder and it came out the exhaust On examing thru plug hole with light and poker I saw the exhaust valve was worn out of round and kind of had small splits in that area along the worn edge I could see. I know it needs to be changed but this is my question.

Since the rest of the clylinders read fine and we will be trying to sell it this spring I want to change just this one and only lap the others if they look like they need attention once I pull the head. What do you think ?

Good Advice Always Welcome

Redfin :) :) :) :)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:12 pm

Hi Redfin

As long as the valve seat is good you should not have a problem doing that. Check all the valve lashes and git her done :!: Just be carfull taking off the hood you never know where you will end up :shock:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:12 pm

I think that is what I would do. Check the tappet clearance on that valve. It probably is tighter- less clearance- than is specified.
Luck favors those who are prepared

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:03 pm

Kind of tough to make up your mind on what to do till you take it apart and get a good look see. What you hope for may be, but that seat may be damaged too. You will never know for sure till you get it apart.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:28 pm

Expect the valve seat to be damaged beyond regrinding - that is if the valve is split and out of round.

Just getting you prepared for the worst. I wouldn't spend 1 cent on the tractor until I had the head and valves removed and an evaluation made.
I have an excuse. CRS.