This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Manifold

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RedneckCub
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 66720

Manifold

Postby RedneckCub » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:07 pm

For whatever reason, my exhaust pipe is welded to my manifold and my muffler is welded to the exhaust pipe. This makes it a little difficult to take off the tank and hood. Without selling my first born to pay for it, where is the best place to buy a new manifold?
No big hurry since I dont expect to have to pull the hood anytime soon, I just want to have the new one on hand just in case.
Joe

deputy jailer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby deputy jailer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Any of the site sponsors should have them :D :D TM offer new ones with the exhaust pipe with it :D

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Ralph's
8)

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby awander » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:11 pm

Joe:

Seeing as how you couldnt replace the welded contraption without cutting it up, why not just cut the pipe at the bottom of the muffler-there might still be enough left to re-install a non-welded muffler, and you would only have to buy a muffler, instead of manifild/pipe/muffler.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26321
Tractors Owned: -
1952 Farmall Cub "Squeaky"
1954 Farmall Cub "Patience"
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Joe,

I've had good success cutting the exhaust pipe off and cutting through the threaded pipe section in the manifold with a hacksaw. This worked only for a broken off pipe with the old threaded portion stuck in the manifold.

Depending on how good of a welding job was done, this may or may not be possible with your manifold. If you're shopping for a replacement, I suggest one of the site's sponsors such as ralphscubs.com or tmtractor.com.

Good luck.
John
----- Farmall Cub - The most fun you can have with your pants on...

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:32 pm

awander wrote:Joe:

Seeing as how you couldnt replace the welded contraption without cutting it up, why not just cut the pipe at the bottom of the muffler-there might still be enough left to re-install a non-welded muffler, and you would only have to buy a muffler, instead of manifild/pipe/muffler.

Andy's suggestion is a good one. If, by chance, the pipe is too short to do it that way there's another way. Cut the pipe off as close to the manifold as possible and grind the weld away. Then make a vertical saw cut in the remaining stub and collapse the remainder. The threads should still be useable. If not, a 1" NPT tap will save the day. Now, at the muffler saw the pipe and muffler off as close as possible above the weld and the muffler may still be useable. The replacement pipe should be 1" IP x 18" to be like original. Manyof us prefer the pipe to be shorter.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:37 pm

Cut the muffler material off as close to the top of the exhaust pipe as possible.

Saws all the remainder of the muffler off as close to the exhaust pipe as possible. Then 4" grind the weld off.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:47 pm

Joe,

Go to the How To part of the forum and scroll down to the How To "How to Remove a Siezed Exhaust Pipe from the Manifold." Excellent pics and description of the process. I would try that before I bought another manifold.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

rpruitt96
10+ Years
10+ Years

Manifold

Postby rpruitt96 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:28 am

Joe,

They have new ones for sale on Ebay all the time for 49.95 plus shipping. I have bought one and not had any trouble with it.

Ron

RedneckCub
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby RedneckCub » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:52 am

Ok thanks guys
Money is not really the issue here. I just want it to be done right.
I will shop around and see what I can come up with.
I can always work on the old one so I can have a spare if needed.
The exhaust pipe is not stuck in the manifold, it is actually welded in there with great big gobs of weld hanging all over it so I think that changing it will be the best option for now.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:08 am

Caution...............
If you are going to try to remove the old pipe from the manifold cut old pipe to remove hood and remove the manifold from engine before doing any additional griding hammering or cutting as you do not want to get any trash in the combustion chamber or valve train.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:26 am

With that much slobber of weld I bet there is no penetration and it will come out fairly easy.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

CTdave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06870

Postby CTdave » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Just give the tractor to me :roll: You don't need to be messing around with projects like this :lol:
'47 Circle Cub serial # 10xx
'59 lowboy. 1000 loader & fast hitch
'48 Cub, resto w/planter/fertilizer
629 utility wagon
Fast hitch brush hog, plows and landscape rake.
Cultivators, 54a blade

RedneckCub
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby RedneckCub » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:15 pm

Dave, Its yours
You just gotta come and pick it up and you can have it when you pry my cold, dead fingers off of the steering wheel :shock:

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:01 pm

I could probably be down tomorrow and get the tractor and keep it for Dave until he can get here,. Remember I know when and where you work. I would be you could fix what you have with vety little work, Take it off and bring it over and we will give it a shot.