This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Invention gurus. help, this could be neat

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:08 pm

KETCHAM wrote:What ever happened to just having fun???You can't do anything with out getting in trouble or sued.I hate the way things are going.We used to tie a rope to the back of a buddies blazer a get pulled around town!!!This was just north of Washington DC.Even the cops liked it.We didn't get in trouble.Times sure have changed :cry: :cry: Kevin ps I wiped out a few times on man hole covers that didn't have snow or ice on them :evil:

Boy, do I remember those days. The small town I lived in came to a halt when a big snow hit. That's when the sleds got hooked to my '68 Dodge Charger with the 383 and 4 speed. Naturally I was careful not to "goose" the engine with someone in tow :wink: We'd even stop to help people shovel their walks if we saw them out while we were riding. Shoot, nowadays it's hard to even get a teenager to shovel snow weather you pay him or not. We'd even go passed the police station and they'd wave and remind us to be careful.

Of course that was back in 1970 when I was 18 and times were a lot different. Now like BD says, the litigation and responsibility factor are there.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:18 pm

Rudi -

Tell us how you REALLY feel :!: :applause: :thumbsup:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:51 pm

CTDave,

Many moons ago, I volunteered with the National Ski Patrol as an auxillary patroller. I loved what I was doing, and miss it these days. But, times have changed. If there is any chance you can get to a real ski slope, go to the area where it may be called the "Bunny" slope or the beginners slope. There will be a mechanism similar to what you envision for your children. Take photos, and watch as things progress. A dead man's switch can be done fairly easy. Do it the easy way - look at other ideas, and then work with your own. Be aware that there are liability issues, but if you want to do it, this project can be well worth while. Who would have thought an ordinary farm pond can be labeled as an attractive nuisance and a liability too? Frozen ponds attract children to walk on them - very dangerous! Not to mention the spring/summer time drownings too.

SS
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:05 pm

Rick:

Boy do I know what you mean... :big shy: Someday I am going to make a rink on that pond for my kids and my grandkids to skate on.

Liability issues are huge. We had a pair of neighbours kids cross onto our property and played in the pond. We were not home. Their Dad called us to complain.

I told him in no uncertain terms.. Yo dummy... what do you not understand about teaching your kids the meaning of Private Property and No Trespassing. Access to someone's property is by invitation, it is a privildge NOT a right.... Oh well..

As they say, you can dress em up, just can't take em anywhere I guess :roll: :oops: :roll: :!:

Denny:

Do you REALLY want to know... :big smile:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

kcIdaho
10+ Years
10+ Years

Liablility versus common sense versus fun

Postby kcIdaho » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:50 pm

Have any of you heard of "hooding"? When I was in my teens we used to go out to raid the old junkyards and farmers piles to get hoods from the old cars and trucks. We would clean the rust off, polish and wax them up then set in them and head down the hill in a farmers field somewhere. A body could steer them good enough to keep the front end pointed down hill by dragging a hand or piece of 2 x 4 on one side or the other. Was a blast!!
Went through a few pair of pants and a coat or two that got ripped on a piece we didn't get pounded down good enough. Hmmm...lost some skin and a bit of blood once in a while too!!
We would hitch a ride back to the top in a pickup bed then go back down again.
On one such occasion we had a fire made of tires at the bottom so we could see the end of the run at night. My buddy and I didn't get stopped in time and busted right through the middle, hot rubber coated the hood and we went flying!! Ruined one of the best hoods we had.
Can you imagine something like that today??
kc
Watch out 2008, H'yar I come!!! Yee Haw, Ya'all
'47 Cub serial #649, '53 ford NAA
Just Me, KC

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Re: Liablility versus common sense versus fun

Postby PageRob » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:51 pm

kcIdaho wrote:Have any of you heard of "hooding"? When I was in my teens we used to go out to raid the old junkyards and farmers piles to get hoods from the old cars and trucks. We would clean the rust off, polish and wax them up then set in them and head down the hill in a farmers field somewhere. A body could steer them good enough to keep the front end pointed down hill by dragging a hand or piece of 2 x 4 on one side or the other. Was a blast!!

Back when I was digging dinosaurs, a similar method was used to move really heavy stuff over nasty terrain to the nearest 4x4 access. Works really well!
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Local town used to close down a couple streets for the sled riders, but quit doing that a few years ago due to liability.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CTdave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06870

Postby CTdave » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:27 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Local town used to close down a couple streets for the sled riders, but quit doing that a few years ago due to liability.

It's a sad state with stories like this as well as the others. You can't do anything these days :x

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:34 am

When I was a kid, (forty some yrs ago) we did the hood thing also. Our favorite hood came from a 52 Studebaker. (remember how the nose of those cars were shaped) That hood got a lot of road miles, tied to the back of my buddy's 53 chevy. On a snowy Sunday afternoon, we would ride that thing all over the county. I don't like the cold that much now days.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:11 am

Gary:

A 52 Studebaker pickmeup was my very first vehicle. I remember them well. Pretty little things.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:21 am

We did the same thing with old car hoods to make a boat. Weld the hoods end to end, and they would float. BUT, you better part your hair in the middle or keep your tobacco in the same jaw and don't be swapping it around, because they will turn over!!

Billy