This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Look at that Cub! It is ELECTRIC!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Here is a true electric conversion, not a hybrid, of an Allis G.
This conversion was also featured in Mother Earth News. I have no problems with this article or tractor. It's well done. Appears to be a practical solution to a portion of the owners agricultural uses for a tractor.

Next topic: Energy independence. The technology to utilize sources other than crude oil to fuel the internal combustion engine has been around for quite some time. Sasol (SOL) a South African firm, has been profitably converting coal to liquid (gas substitute) for years. The break even point is $60 dollars per barrel of oil. China and Qatar are building coal to liquid (CTL) plants - Royal Dutch Shell and China Shenhua. There are curently several proposed efforts in the US to build CTL or CFG (coal to gas) plants. Rentech (RTK) is converting a fertilizer plant in Illinois to CTL and has proposed CTL plants in West Virginia, and Lousiana(?). MDU Utilities (MDU) has proposed a CTG plant in North Dakota to generate electricity.

The biggest problem for US independence from foreign oil is the environmental lobby taking and keeping every proposed project in litigation for years. Secondly, the lack of any meaningful action on part of the Federal government.
I have an excuse. CRS.

scotlem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02852

Postby scotlem » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 pm

Rick(billyandmillie) wrote:I, for one, have a slightly different outlook about this cub. Sure there may be those who criticize and laugh, but I give the guy credit for at least trying. Now we have some idea of what the project results are. I still remember a couple items I built that had all kinds of negitive feedback, the backhoe for one. There were those who said the finals would break in short order, and those who said the cub engine wouldn't have enough power to do squat. I have another project in the works that many will have negitive comments about, again, and that's ok. At least we'll know if it works or not :D :D and I have fun in the process :wink:

I applaud John Howe for making it :D :D :D

Rick

I'm with you rick, If I knew how to fly I would put wings on one and try to fly it. Scot

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:26 pm

I stumbled across this http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm#neverwork site today and this thread came to mind, nothing tractor related but a cool site, just the same :wink:
8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:18 pm

Eugene wrote:Next topic: Energy independence. The technology to utilize sources other than crude oil to fuel the internal combustion engine has been around for quite some time. Sasol (SOL) a South African firm, has been profitably converting coal to liquid (gas substitute) for years. The break even point is $60 dollars per barrel of oil. China and Qatar are building coal to liquid (CTL) plants - Royal Dutch Shell and China Shenhua. There are curently several proposed efforts in the US to build CTL or CFG (coal to gas) plants.

Early in WWII Hitler was dealt a severe blow with the destruction of the Ploesti oil fields and refineries in August 1943 which deprived him of his largest supply of oil to fight the war with. To make up for it he built the coil to oil plants which provided much of the fuel used by the Germans. This technology has been with us for a long time.

http://www.energybulletin.net/16660.html
Last edited by George Willer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:25 pm

If I remember right they used mostly B24 on those raids.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:30 pm

I'm wondering how this picture:

just slipped into this thread :?: :wink: :lol: :lol:
8)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:36 pm

You trying to tell us something, Donny :wink: :wink:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Rick(billyandmillie) wrote:You trying to tell us something, Donny :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: Not at all, Mr. GW poste the link in his last post. Something about WWII , I think :wink: :lol: :lol:
8)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Donny M wrote:I'm wondering how this picture:

just slipped into this thread :?: :wink: :lol: :lol:
8)

Somebody screwed up! I meant to link to this site:

http://www.energybulletin.net/16660.html
George Willer

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:49 pm

George:
You constantly amaze me with your intuitiveness and knowledge about many things. Early on in this thread, especially thinking about alternative energy and the increasingly exploitive (speculators and idiots who do not realize North America does not rely on mid-east oil) rising costs of fossil fuels, I started thinking about 2 of my favourite fuel resource topics.

1. Would be nuclear. I guess because being a prospector, and being Canadian, I realize just how useful uranium can be. Used Reactor rods could be peletized and shielded to be used quite effectively in powering automobiles. I remember Popular Mechanics and Popular Science postulating on these as futuristic possibilites at the dawn of the new millenium. Sadly it has not come to pass.

Everyone is always complaining about disposal of nuclear waste. It isn't as difficult or complicated as the tree huggers would wish us to believe. This is really a political powederkey. As we all know, we have huge mines that Uranium actually comes from as well as other metals and precious stones. These shafts and stopes are usually left/abandoned after their useful lives have ended. Sometimes as in the case of back home in Timmins, these shafts and stopes collapse usually causing grave injuries or death.

I never understood why our governments would not advocate building Nuclear Waste Storage Facilities underground in these old shafts and stopes. They all would have to be strengthened and built to suit, but it would be cheaper and better than building storage facilities above ground, or using the Marianas Trench to dispose of our used Uranium, as the US Navy currently does, or just sinking the subs in 1,000 meters of water as the USSR/Russia now does. It would make sense. Also, by using much of the spent fuel rods that can no longer provide enough energy to power a Nuclear Plant, there would be enough left in them to pelletize and power private vehicles for decades. Be much like having the Ever-ready Energizer Bunny in your Engine Compartment.

2. This would be of course my history/culture/heritage. The Germans have always been inventive and industrious. It seems to be part of our makeup. During both great wars when Oil became very difficult to get, German Industry came up with many interesting forms of alternative fuel solutions. I never understood why these were always abandoned by the Allies after the hostilities ended. The scientists were valuable enough to risk many lives to be brought to North America, but their inventions were not.

IF we actually looked at much of what has been designed already and actually put these into practice we would probably already have weaned ourselves off of much of the fossil fuel needs we have today.

Just a couple of random thoughts.. this has turned into an interesting thread...

I also have a feeling that if a number of our Cubaholics were tossed into a design centre, say the likes of Rick P, George W, Eugene and a few others, economically viable alternatives would have viable end useful technologies pretty darn quick. :idea: :!: :D

The one good thing about this solar powered Cub is the concept of creative thinking. I admire anyone who can think out of the box and make something work. These are the people who generally make technology so exciting.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 pm

George Willer wrote:The nuclear waste problem has been solved long ago.

How's that? Are you referring to Yucca Mountain? Or something else entirely?
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:58 pm

PageRob wrote:
George Willer wrote:The nuclear waste problem has been solved long ago.

How's that? Are you referring to Yucca Mountain? Or something else entirely?

Yucca Mountain would be one good solution and we've already settled on it, except for the politicians. Another solution would be to simply put it back under the mountain where it was dug up. :shock: It isn't really a big deal except for those who don't want to solve the "problem".
George Willer

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:05 pm

George Willer wrote:Yucca Mountain would be one good solution and we've already settled on it, except for the politicians.

As a former geologist, I think Yucca Mountain has several deep geological problems, but...

Another solution would be to simply put it back under the mountain where it was dug up.

That's not a bad idea, as long as its away from the water table/faults/etc., and one I haven't heard bandied about before. I've always liked the expensive but very effective option of launching it at the sun. After all, the sun is just a giant nuclear reaction - spent fuel isn't going to hurt it, and we've got lots of experience launching radioactive items into space.

I think this whole discussion is pretty interesting, and I'm getting a lot of opinions I don't usually get from the group I work with.

I like the flipped final on that pic - stealth project Cub, is it?
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Just to stir the pot a bit; http://w3.pppl.gov/
8)

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:46 pm

Getting back to the electric Cub, converting a gasoline vehicle to electric isn't actually much of a change away from fossil fuel. Many utilities use coal, oil or natural gas to produce electricity. Can't be electric without recharging those batteries.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow