Question about fire extinguishers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks for bringing up this important subject.

We're blessed to have several professionals on the forum to give us guidance. I hope they'll do so. :D

I just had a shock to realize there's none at all in the house! Just a few steps away there are 3 in the shop in what I thought were good locations... Right at eye level along side the most used doors. Marilyn didn't know they were there! She does now. :lol: OH... There's also one near the wood stove.

I plan to get another one to mount conspiculously in the kitchen and one for the pickup.

There's one in the barn that is subject to freezing as is the one in the motorhome. I don't know if freezing is an issue?

Brian mentioned fluffing the extinguisher. Can someone please explain?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:06 pm

They shouldn't freeze, but the powder will settle and pack a bit if they are left to sit/hang and never moved. I turn mine upside and gently shake them a bit when ever I think of it (which is probably not often enough) to help keep the powder from packing.

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:10 pm

When they recharge the extinuisher they use air from an air compressor or from another source of air. They put dry powder in the cylinders then put an air nipple on the hose end (the hose is removed) they press the handle down to put air until the gauge shows the proper reading. They release the handle to keep the air in the cylinder remove the air nipple then replaces the hose and you good to go.
Every once in a while you should turn the extinuisher end to end to keep the powder fluffed. If your extinuisher is in a vehicle it pounds the powder down in the end from the vibration. It souldn't freze. Now CO2's, Halons & water cans will freeze.
Hope this helps. Don't forget to keep them severed.
Jeff
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

a-dougk1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66056

Postby a-dougk1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:34 pm

After my cub caught on fire last summer, I mounted a small fire extinguisher on the rear fender. The holes already in the fender are the perfect size for mounting the extinguisher behind and below the seat.

Now that I've replaced the old, damaged electrical wiring, the cub probably won't catch fire again, but better safe than sorry.

Doug
"My destiny's ta get the h*ll outa here."
Henry Fonda - My Name is Nobody

1835wayne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1835wayne » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:01 pm

Hi guys, new here and this is my first post.

I am a 16 year vet of the fire service and work at Mittal Steel Burns Harbor, Indiana on the fire department. We use 20 and 30# cartridge type extinguishers.

Here is a link to Ansul's site.
https://www.ansul.com/en/Products/hand_ ... e_list.asp

We put them every where from hight heat areas to outside at the dock in the dead of winter. As others have stated, powder will pack after a number of years, so we always tell the mill workers to upend them and smack the cap on the floor prior to charging the extinguisher and using.

They hava a CO2 cartridge that will last for YEARS and only requires hydrostatic testing every 12 years. I have a 20# in the barn and a 10# in the garage. During the summer I also keep 2 2.5 gallon water can extinguishers in the barn in case of hay or any other small fire I would rather use water on.

Hope this helps.

Wayne

1835wayne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1835wayne » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:04 pm

https://www.ansul.com/en/Products/hand_ ... rtable.asp

Better link, takes you right to the type I am talking about.

Stretch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21838
Tractors Owned: '57 Farmall 450
'70 Cub
'68 Cub Cadet 124
'33 F-12
'59 Cub Loboy

Postby Stretch » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Standard homeowner type extinguisher is dry powder with nitrogen as a propellent. Freezing is not a problem. You can get ABC or BC. BC will do a better job on fuel fires but not as good on regular combustibles-wood, paper, etc. I've got a 20 lb BC, a CO2 (best for electrical, won't leave a mess), and a water pressure extinguisher in the shop. Water pressure has a little antifreeze in it. Like has been stated, turn 'em over and shake 'em once a year. Powder settles. It's more of a problem on an extinguisher on a vehicle. Our crash trucks have 450 pounds of powder in them. They can be a real pain to keep loose. I would think a good marine extinguisher like you put on a boat would be a good bet to hang on a Cub or other small tractor if you want to mount one. They come with a mount and are designed to be out in the weather. Check the guage once in a while and make sure it's in the green. Standard is once a month. They will leak down. You never know if there's a bad seal if you don't check. Yes, they will go bad without ever being used, but just buy a new one. Real cheap insurance.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
1949 for sale
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:18 pm

My suggestion is buy some ABC powder extinguishers and put them near your exit doors . I have some 5 Gal water Extinguishers I keep out of the freezing weather that I will throw in the truck to take to small grass fires and car fires. Just my 2cents worth Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden