This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Additional Parts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pbrawner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Additional Parts

Postby pbrawner » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 pm

I noticed that there a couple of people parting out cubs on ebay. One of the items for sale is a fast hitch. I wonder if one will fit on my 1951? Are they hard to find? Assuming they will fit how much should I be prepared to pay? I finally got my shop cleaned up so I can begin the process of restoring this neat little guy. Since the engine is frozen I am going to have to take it apart. Since I am an old hot rodder is there any information available on how much this little engine can be souped up and what parts are available for added horse power? I have not written since I went on vacation but I am now ready to get involved. More later.

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:02 pm

fast hitch from a cub will fit any year cub
fast hitch from a loby will fit any year loboy
the helper spring will fit on ones with two arms on the left side of hydraulic rockshaft. if you only have one arm then rockshaft and blocks can be changed out
450-550 for a complete unit with helper spring is a fair price
Ron

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 pm

Ron has you covered on the fast hitch but as far as souping up the cub engine you just ain't gonna get much out of a 60 ci flathead.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:16 pm

Hate to disappoint you but there ain't a whole lot of souping up a cub engine. You can get a bit by changing to domed pistons. Best you can do with a whole lot of money is go from 9 to maybe 14 HP. Don't forget the block is the front frame. Too much banging around and you have a very expensive cracked block.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Billpa
10+ Years
10+ Years

aditional parts

Postby Billpa » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 am

added horsepower, 9 hp to 14 hp is close to 50% increase (nothing to sneeze at) I would be happy with that. I will bet a good hot rodder could double that with out much trouble.
happy trails

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:41 am

Again.
Don't forget the block is the front frame. Too much banging around and you have a very expensive cracked block.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: aditional parts

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:45 am

Billpa wrote:I will bet a good hot rodder could double that with out much trouble.
Not without some serious rebuilding, the air and exhaust passages, both in block and manifold limit aspiration, as well as valve train. Most hot rodders get their horsepower from higher rpms, which is not reasonable on a cub if you intend to do more than ride around. Remember pto powered implements are intended to run at specific rpms, not just fly at whatever is available.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:22 am

Horsepower is a useless number when applied to tractors. Increasing the ability to accelerate doesn't apply to a governed engine, they are designed to run at one speed. Horsepower may get you there fast but torque cuts the grass. Regardless of horsepower rating, a governed engine will operate under load at it's peak torque.

Horsepower is a calculated number designed to give the advertising gurus something to feed an unsuspecting public. Compare what a Cub can do to a 10 horsepower garden tractor - that's when the horsepower deception becomes apparent.

Can't do much to change torque output without making radical changes to the engine design. But then you have to beef up the castings and bearings and shafts and gears to handle the additional stress. After all that, you no longer have a Cub - IH called it a Super A.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

pbrawner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pbrawner » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the information. Now all I have to do is take it apart and rebuild it. I really enjoy reading everyone's comments on the various subjects. Have a happy Thanksgiving.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:02 pm

I'd put a 750 double pumper Holley carb, tuned headers, roller cam, and a duel point distributer in it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

PS: You might even find a set of SS Cragers to fit it. :wink:
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Rick may be able to give you some tips.... I think he did something to the exhaust :wink: on 'Harley'

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)