This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Cub-Day off work yesterday (kinda long)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

My Cub-Day off work yesterday (kinda long)

Postby Hengy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:24 am

Hey there all!

Just wanted to report my great day yesterday. I was getting frustrated that the Cub had been taking a back seat to other projects around my house, so I decided to take a Cub-related day off of work and devote my time to getting MerlinCub back together.

For those of you who weren't familiar with what I was doing, I made the mistake of TAKING THE HOOD OFF" of the tractor... :shock: :shock:

Actually, I knew that the head was cracked and poorly brazed on my tractor, so I had decided to fix that. He has been in my shop with the head off since late August and was calling my name!!

Well, yesterday, it was time to attack!

First, I had to deal with the manifold to which the exhaust pipe was welded. No problem...took out the handy-dandy angle grinder and cut off the old pipe and ground off the weld. Got the stump of the pipe out of the manifold using the how-to tip on the forum. The threads on the manifold were really crappy, so I used an old 1" pipe that I had sitting around as a tap using Rick (whatever the flavor of the day name is) Dulas' tip. Then I put a new (used) 1' pipe back in the manifold...that was ready to go.

Next, time to double check the inside of the engine for cleanliness and get the new head on. I purchased the head from my good friend David Bennett a while back, and it was just longing to get put back on the engine. When I insured that the inside of the cylinders and valve chambers were clean, I went to work getting the head on. Well, I can tell you that it was a success. Used CopperKote on the gasket and on the head bolts, and brought each one up to 25# torque first (in the order that it says in the manual) then I brought it up to 35#...then to 45#. Didn't strip a single bolt! Boy was that fun!!

Next, it was time to attack the lower bolster. The pipe plug that was in the bottom was corroded and had gotten stuck YEARS ago. Well, some poor soul had rounded off the square head on it, and it was pretty buggered up. When I was splitting the tractor this summer, I had to drain the water, so I took a saw and cut the rounded off head off of the plug. I used a drill to drill out the center of the plug and get the coolant out of the tractor. I left the plug in for the time being when I disassembled it, so it was now time to get it out for good and get a new plug in there. I tried EVERYTHING to get this out and was the biggest pain of all the projects I did yesterday. Finally, I drilled a couple of smaller holes in the plug around the bigger one that I did originally. Using the smaller holes I drilled and an old worn out screw driver, I tapped on the plug, and YIPPE... It busted right out of the hole. The threads were surprisingly in very good shape!!

Then to get the reconditioned Mag on the tractor and time it. I made sure that my engine was at TDC, and the governor was in the correct position. Made sure that my tower was pointing to the #1 tower (it was!), and put it on. I followed the advice of may posters in the forum from the past, and feel pretty strongly that I have it timed right...

Well, then it was time to get him back on all four feet. That took a little bit of work when you are by yourself to get everything lined up with the jack underneath the tractor and handling the front end. All in all, though, it went smoothly.

I wanted to try to get him started one time before I had to quit for the day, but found out "DOH" the battery was dead. I don't have a hand crank and I was a little leery of kick-back anyhow, so I didn't try to start him. This was the only disappointing thing of the day. I really REALLY wanted to end the day with him running again.

Sorry this is so long, but I needed to share my giddiness with my fellow forum members. This is the first time I have EVER been inside an engine on my own, and I was really nervous about doing this. Some jobs were a PITA, and others were much easier. All in all, I am proud of what I have done so far...NOW to get him started...

I am sure that I will have some questions once I can get to cranking MerlinCub again soon! I can't wait to hear him run again! I am going to have to take another Cub day off work sometime in the future. It was good for the soul!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:35 am

Sounds like a fun day Mike!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:46 am

The way you wrote it Mike I felt I was there with you enjoying every minute.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 am

What a great day, Mike. Get that battery charged up and give MerlinCub a whirl!! Let us know the results. :D 8) 8)
Trent McPeak

PAUL K. in N.H.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby PAUL K. in N.H. » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 am

Mike, Sounds like a GREAT day. I am glad things went well. You will have Merlin going again before you know it.

Paul K. in H.H.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:56 am

I am on my way to the "evil empire" (Wal-Mart) today at lunch to get me a charger to get the battery charged up. It is funny...this project has gotten me a TON of new tools for my workshop! I am going to use my Birthday Money that I got today to get a charger...what a better way to spend gift money! Can you believe that at 38 years old, my parents still send me Birthday Money?

Mike
Image Image

Lyle7289
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lyle7289 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:08 pm

I enjoyed the story!! :P
Shoot straight and may your arrows fly true!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Happy Birthday Mike!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:40 pm

Mike Great write up. I'm like you, if I get started on something with the Cub I always hate to see the day end with out completion. Oh well, that gives you something to look forward to the next day.

Happy Birthday to you!

And remember, if you ever need another old screwdriver for tapping things call Bugler. He's probably up to 93 of them about now and still looking. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:46 pm

Barnyard wrote:And remember, if you ever need another old screwdriver for tapping things call Bugler. He's probably up to 93 of them about now and still looking. :lol:

Funny you should say that! I was thinking about Bugler when I was using my old screwdriver to knock out the lower bolster plug...

By the way, I got a brass plug to replace the one that was stuck. Will this help to alleviate any future "sticking" of the plug or will this be just as bad when I try to take it back out? I used some teflon on the plug, too...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Happy birthdday Mike, sonds like a great day. hoping to have a couple like that myself here in the next couple weeks, start the tear down finally.

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:55 pm

Just a thought.
I know that copper and galvanized water pipe can create a
di-electric situation leading to accelerated corrosion, but I'm
not sure of the brass and cast iron. I'm sure those much more
in the know will have the definitive answer.

Bill

crowman2
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby crowman2 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:12 pm

Mike,

Good for you sounds like you are really getting into your cub!! Enjoy, they're fun to work on and accomplish some progress that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, Happy Birthday!!

Marc

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:22 pm

Happy Birthday Mike and enjoy your new toys,,,,,,,,,, and your old ones too. :D :D :D :D
I can fix it,,,get me a bigger hammer.

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011