This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Motor questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Stan_VA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22728

Motor questions

Postby Stan_VA » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:02 pm

I'm looking for recommendations on engine parts suppliers and piston types. I'm working on a '48 model and this is my first C60 though I have alot of experience with C113/123's.

I have read several good recommendations for TM that's listed here on the home page, but I don't see that they offer piston sets, just rings and bearings? I see that YTMag has flat tops (Tisco), agkits.com lists a 'retro-fit dome design' piston which I assume is closer to the 154/184 piston. I've had no problems with the Tisco kits in the past (on Super C/H/M motors), no experience with agkits though.

Has anyone on here actually tried the agkits pistons? Has anyone taken compression readings across a flat vs dome top motor willing to post their findings?

My book shows 6.5:1 compression ratio and I don't have anything that lists the later cubs for comparison. AFAIK the cylinder head didn't change accross the later models? (so I wouldn't expect a difference from that, and don't think interference would be a problem.) Unfortunatly this motor was seized so I don't have any 'before' readings to compare.

I've read where someone (don't recall the post?) posted that they didn't see much difference in using the dome top pistons and am wondering what gains they saw in compression. On the 113/123's I notice a real difference if I can get them over 140psi, but with this flat head design I don't know how much of a jump is feasible? Am I correct in assuming the flat heads in a fresh motor will give around 120psi? I plan on replacing the valves and porting the manifold/block. If there's really no noticable gains, I'd prefer not to waste the money...

Any other suggestions I'm all ears :) Thanks...
52 Super M, 53 Super H, 52 Super C, Wheel horse C101, JD 140.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 pm

Some will not agree but , like the higher compression 154 pistons and can tell the difference in power
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Motor questions

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:34 pm

Engine parts. Suggest making a list of the needed parts then shop around. There is a big difference in prices. I find that my local auto parts store beats most suppliers on Cub C-60 engine parts when you figure in the shipping cost.

PSI. On a fresh engine, Yup on the 120 PSI - give or take a bit.

I would replace the parts with the same style of new parts as was in the engine. The engine only puts out about 13 horsepower, brand new. I wouldn't spend the extra money or effort to pick up 1 or 2 HP. If HP is your thing. You can pick up a little more HP by increasing the engines RPMs from 1600 to 1800 - not recommended. The HP increase is at the expense of torque.

Again my opinion. If you need more HP or more tractor than the Cub - buy a bigger tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:05 pm

You may have clearance problems with the domed pistons. I had to grind the combustion chambers in the head for the pistons to clear. I haven't ran the engine yet, so I can't speak to power. If I had it do do over, I probably would have went with the flat tops. There are several differences the number lo-boys used to get more HP besides the pistons.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:48 pm

If your going to use dome high compression pistons I would put some clay in the combustion chamber with the head on without a headgasket. Then put in longer bolts with springs so nothing gets bent and turn it slow by hand to see how much clearance there is if the head doesn't pop up. Besafe and check it first so there is enough clearance.

Being a new farmall cub owner there is a difference between my int154 cub in power too. After all the f cub has 9 or 10hp while the 154 has 15.4 hp right? Thats 1/3 more hp it has to be noticable unless the 154 isn't running good.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:33 pm

i had my 66 cub rebuilt and the builder put in the dome pistons without any clearance problems and also the head had been planed too.before the rebuild i couldnt mow a full cut with the c3 mower, now i can mow uphill wich i could never do before. if i had to rebuild another i'd put the dome pistons in that one too.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 pm

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... horsepower

The above discussion has several horsepower to torque charts for the C-60 engine. If you notice the torque peaks at around 1600 RPMs but the horsepower increases as the RPMs above 1600 increase. Above 1600 RPMs as the horsepower increases the torque decreases.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:45 pm

I'm letting the machine shop that's doing the machine work on my block get the parts from their supplier. I priced everything I needed from several sources and the machine shop's prices were competitive. By letting them order the parts, the monkey will be on their back if the wrong parts get ordered. I'll be doing the assembly work myself.
Old Age: The phase of life when nothing works and everything hurts...

Stan_VA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22728

Postby Stan_VA » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:13 am

Guys,
Thanks for all the comments, I'm still thinking about some of them but had a few more questions in the meantime... I was puzzled by the need for checking head clearance on the dome pistons because I was under the assumption that there was only one cylinder head offered (355691R2 in my parts books). But I found this comment in Ken Updikes Cub book on p.19, "IH offered a high-altitude cylinder head as optional equipment...". Does anyone have a part number for that head or actually seen one and noted any differences?

I've worked on experimental strokers before and understand using clay to check clearance on them, but didn't expect it to be an issue with (what I thought was) just one head and one standard stroke available on these motors. So, thanks for the warnings...

Eugene, thanks for that link to the earlier thread with the torque curves, that was helpfull. I'm still chewin on that will post back when my thoughts are straight :wink:

One last question, of all those that listed they have used dome pistons, are you all using the factory pistons from IH or are any of those aftermarkets (like from agkits or maybe you have found others that offer something)?
52 Super M, 53 Super H, 52 Super C, Wheel horse C101, JD 140.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 am

Factory Pistons [ used ] no clearance problem but more power
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:27 am

I see that YTMag has flat tops (Tisco),
after experiencing the chinsy carb rebuild kits by TISCO, I'd be leary about any other products by them.

My .02,
Rick

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 am

I dont like Tisco either there paint sucks but the case IH dealer will sell that stuff to you if you let them
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:47 am

You're unlikely to squeeze significantly more power out of a C60 unless radical changes are made to the basic engine design. The "domed" pistons raises compression modestly, to about 7:1, hardly the stuff dreams are made of. Some users claim a tremendous increase in power using those pistons but I believe their big boost comes from rejuvenating a worn out engine.

Torque, not horsepower, is the important number to chase. Rapid acceleration is seldom a desirable characteristic for farm tractors. Governed engines are designed to run at a steady speed regardless of load. Maximum torque, remaining relatively uniform throughout the normal operating range, is what manufacturers aim for and what most agricultural applications require.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow