This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

witch carb is better

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mth74
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

witch carb is better

Postby mth74 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:12 pm

I need to get a new carb for my cub the one I have is warped bad and leaks gas all over the place.I took it to a guy that rebuilds them twice and no luck.So I was wondering out of the 2 types (IH or ZENITH)what one is better AND WHY???????

thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:25 pm

It's really a matter of personal preference. Of course, the original IH carb is no longer available so that's a moot point. A reproduction of the IH carb is available and early reports are positive. You will find members of this forum who adamantly prefer both brands.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Keith L
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Keith L » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 pm

I am using 2 of the new IH style carbs that I bought from TM tractor. Just bolted them on and put the tractors to work. They work great. Your old carb could most likely be sraightened and repaired, I have done at least 6 myself, but those new ones are very nice.
Keith Lukachek
55 Lo (Woods), 57 Lo(in boxes), 62 Lo(105 mower), 50 for parades, 57 FH, 58 FH, 64 Loader (Ugly Duckling), 154 (Woods), 59(Woods), 49 SAV, 58 460U Diesel

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:45 pm

I agree with Keith 110% on the IH carb and the replacement from TM
But I like the Zenith also
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:54 pm

If you change from the IH style to the Zenith, I believe there are issues to consider such as needing two intake manifolds to give clearance for the throttle butterfly and needing an adapter hose to mate the Zenith to the air cleaner. Neither is a deal-breaker for the Zenith, just some points to consider.
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:01 pm

mth74,
I took it to a guy that rebuilds them twice and no luck
where exactly is it still leaking? Is it still warped on the top half? Sounds like maybe the person didn't know how to fix them, they aren't that difficult to figure out. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll take a look at it and stick it on my straightening jig for you, or I have all the heli-coils if it's leaking someplace else.

Rick

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:16 pm

Actually, based on some dyno testing a Briggs and Stratton 3hp carb is the best. :wink: :lol:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 pm

I agree with Rick. Your carb guy isn't with the program or you have splits in the castings.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:41 pm

Daniel H. wrote:If you change from the IH style to the Zenith, I believe there are issues to consider such as needing two intake manifolds to give clearance for the throttle butterfly and needing an adapter hose to mate the Zenith to the air cleaner. Neither is a deal-breaker for the Zenith, just some points to consider.
I assume you meant two manifold gaskets, not 2 manifolds. Also, neither of my cubs with the Zenith carb and original manifold required 2 gaskets.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: witch carb is better

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:23 am

mth74 wrote:I need to get a new carb for my cub the one I have is warped bad and leaks gas all over the place.I took it to a guy that rebuilds them twice and no luck.So I was wondering out of the 2 types (IH or ZENITH)what one is better AND WHY???????

thanks

mth74:

I am by no means the guru for rebuilding carbs.. that would be the province of guys like Donny M, Don McCombs, Rick Prentice, George Willer and such.. HOWEVER, I have rebuilt a few and I know this much.. there are not that many that are impossible to fix unless they have been soaked in vinegar, or have chunks missing.

Warped Carbs are not that difficult.. even without the straightening jig.... How to Make an Updraft Carb Straightening Jig.. it isn't all that difficult to repair them with a file and the judicious use of a lapping plate and some clamps.

It appears that whoever is your carb expert, he is not all that well versed with the 3/4" updraft.

Take Rick up on his offer.. he will have it working properly lickety split.

I would buy a repro before I would go to a Zenith, but that is just me. Already did the Marvel Schleber route (a M-H Pony carb was on Granny).. and I much prefer the IH 3/4 to any other.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:46 am

Yep.... vinegar can be bad. :oops:
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:54 am

mth74,
RUN to Ricks offer! Am sure your carb is salvagable. If not, you gave it its' best chance.
Chris

jnr127
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jnr127 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:22 am

My brother put a zenith on his 49 cub and it seems to stick out just far enough to interfere with his oil dip stick. Still can get out but just kinda in the way.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:48 pm

An update on Mike's carb. I received the IH carb yesterday. I took it into the garage and started to dismantle it. I removed the 4 screws that hold the top to the bottom and slowly lifted off the top. It didn't take too long to discover one of the main problems. 1) the float was bound up and wasn't pivoting on the pin. It was stuck between the arms at about half way and real tight. Plus 2) one side of the float was caved in bad :shock: 3) the idle tube looked like it was cleaned up. I touched it and realized it would unscrew easy. Soon as it was removed I noticed the orfice was missing from the threaded end :shock: 4) None of the felts or retainers were replaced at the choke or throttle shafts, and Mike bought the expensive $55+ kit. 5) it still had the original weep hole felt and retainer, which was plugged solid. Mike stated gas poured out of the hose when removed from the carb. No wonder :? 6) the top was warped, as suspected, but I've seen worse. The new float and idle tube should be here hopefully tomorrow from TM. I'll take some side by side pics of the good verses bad parts for conparison.
That's it for now,
Rick

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:03 pm

WOW! I wonder what the "carb guy" did to it ... TWICE? :? Mike, after Rick is done with it and actually rebuilds it properly, see what you think then!
Trent McPeak

Return to “Farmall Cub”