This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tire Recommendations

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
twpool
10+ Years
10+ Years

Tire Recommendations

Postby twpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:19 am

I need to replace the dry-rotted front tires on my 1955 cub. Does anyone have a good recommendation on what and where to buy. TM looks like they have some good ones for $42 (+ $10 inner tube), and I like to support the advertisers on sites like this. Is that a good price?

Thanks!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:33 am

Try your local full service Firestone or Titan (formerly Goodyear) tire dealer. When you consider the cost of shipping and installation, he may be able to do better than mail order.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:42 am

Front tires are available in a variety of styles and prices depending on what you want.
The 3 rib style that was standard on all the early cubs is available in the price range you mention from many sources. Check out http://www.Millertire.com and http://www.tuckertire.com as possible resources as well. Also, you can pick up smoother tread tires such as boat trailer or implement tires from places like TSC for a very reasonable cost.
Determine what your major use will be and then decide on a style. Once you know what you want, check out suppliers.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

twpool
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby twpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks fellas. Since I am restoring my cub more for show than anything, I think I would like to have tires that closely match OEM equipment. The 3 rib type like TM or Tucker sells look good. Tucker's are about half the price though. Anyone have any experience with these? I assume the 400 x 12 that they advertise will fit my wheels (original to the tractor). Any reason they wouldn't?

I am having a great time strating this project and really appreciate the responses you all are sending. Since I search the forum before I post my questions, I hope I am not duplicating previous threads too much.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:58 am

They will fit and they will be the last set you'll ever have to put on (even the off brand). You can go for the name brand as original or use the off-brand - it's your money.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

hschwartz3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43102
eBay ID: hschwartz3

Postby hschwartz3 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:45 am

Yep, the tucker tires will work just fine. Ordered a set the beginning of last week and got them two days ago. they look and work great. The total with shipping was $62.00.

twpool
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby twpool » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:48 am

Thanks again guys. After I posted my last reply, I searched the forum again for "Tucker tires" and came up with a bunch of threads. So much for not duplicating other posts!