This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Your Engine Sucks!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
moe1942
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71303
Tractors Owned: 1-69 Cub

5- Cub Cadets

Re: Your Engine Sucks!!!

Postby moe1942 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:29 am

I used to time my engine with a vacuum gauge..

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 am

by Arizona Mike » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:01 am

I didn't have the gauge Eugene, but used my wipers to teach me when the engine sound had enough vacuum

i was thinking the same thing. for those of you not old enough to have experienced this, some Fords in the early 60's had vaccuum wipers. that is to say that they operated fine when going downhill, uphill...not so much! if you floored it to get up the hill, the wipers simply stopped.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm

artc wrote:

I didn't have the gauge Eugene, but used my wipers to teach me when the engine sound had enough vacuum

i was thinking the same thing. for those of you not old enough to have experienced this, some Fords in the early 60's had vaccuum wipers. that is to say that they operated fine when going downhill, uphill...not so much! if you floored it to get up the hill, the wipers simply stopped.

and a 6 cyl Ford was worst of all :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:40 pm

artc wrote:

I remember that on my '57 Pontiac.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 pm

By 57 most of the GMs had electric wipers on the upper grades even the Chevys
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:09 pm

Not this one. I think my '58 Pontiac did, though.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:25 pm

'66 IH Scout! Vacuum wipers and an anemic defroster made it a challenge, especially in an ice storm. :shock:

RedneckCub
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 66720

Postby RedneckCub » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:20 pm

I had a 61 Rambler that had vacuum wipers and a push button transmission.
I sure dont want that one back.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:09 pm

My '58 Cadillac had vacuum wipers controlled by a sliding switch let you choose any speed you wanted between off and faster than you can imagine. Sliding that control to the fastest speed restricted the wipers to about 1/3 of the normal wiping action, which made fast really fast. Whenever I pushed the go pedal farther than necessary, it allowed two more wipes across the windshield until they stopped dead on the curved edge of the wrap-around windshield (unless I slid that switch to fastest beforehand) and they didn't move again until I snapped the throttle shut. Couldn't roll down the window and give the wiper a nudge, my arm wasn't long enough to reach it.

I had a '63 Rambler American with vacuum wipers that didn't work. I packed it with Vasoline so they worked just long enough to pass state inspection. Then I salvaged an electric unit from the junkyard. Electric wipers were optional, as were washers and back up lights and radio and cigarette lighter and passenger side sun visor and outside mirror and OHV engine. It must have been the cheapest Rambler off the assembly line, I think the only option it had was the heater.

We're kind of spoiled these days, most cars have automatic tranny and AC and power windows and power locks and power steering and power brakes as standard equipment. Even the cheapest car these days is better equipped than my old Caddy but they don't have any pizzaz or personality.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:23 am

Not all vacuum wipers were that way, you just needed a double action fuel pump. Route the vacuum hose through the fuel pump and the wipers never stop as long as the motor is running no matter what throttle position. My old 53 chevy pick-up would push snow off a windshield.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:03 am

It is interesting how hardheaded the engineers were on the vacuum driven principle over the years. The first car I drove as a kid around the farm was a Model A Ford and it had an electric motor driven wiper blade. No switch mind you and no mechanical linkage, the driver had to physically connect two wires together to turn the motor on. The entire mechanism (motor and wiper) was located at the top of the windshield on the driver's side. The passenger side had no wiper. Since the motor was right in front of the driver and a little noisy, it may have been the reason why Ford switched to vacuum with all the others. As discussed here, the engineers tried all sorts of different methods to make the vacuum principle work before they settled on the electic motor.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 am

I think they kept vacuum motors because they were considerably cheaper than electric motors.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:23 am

The dual diaphragm fuel pumps could cause mysterious oil burning if the vacuum booster diaphragm developed a leak. The engine vacuum line to the intake manifold from the pump delivered oil from the crankcase to the manifold. My 1952 Chevy suddenly started burning a quart of oil every 28 miles. No mosquito fogger ever matched that smoke! The car was still running well.
Luck favors those who are prepared

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:10 am

My cousin has a 58 Ford that he rigged up somehow to inject oil into the exhaust, I think, just to make a cloud of smoke. He did it in front of one of the local police officers and he was pulled over. he couldn't write a ticket as by the time he hitched up his pants and walked up with his ticket book the exhaust was back to normal.... :lol:

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks for starting this Donny, very helpful!

I had forgotten all the things you could figure out by looking at engine vacuum, and I'm betting this will be helpful in diagnosing what's going on with Jason's engine on Pappy. Last night Kodiak and Jason rebuilt Pappy's carb, but when we went home and installed it, the engine still idled great, but when he moved the throttle up, it started sputtering and losing power just like before.

My first two guesses?

1. Leaking exhaust manifold gaskets causing weakened vacuum for the nicely rebuilt updraft carb;

2. Some soot or rust or something stuck in a valve seat, causing one cylinder not to draw in fuel or fire under power. The problem started right after we unscrewed the vertical stack out of the exhaust manifold, and I'm wondering if this could have dropped some chunk of crud into the valve seat..

What do you guys think? I think Jason and I will be pullng that little plug off the exhaust manifold to start finding out! :big afro:

As always, ideas welcome!

Corky
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

Return to “Farmall Cub”