This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulics again...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jbfjr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Hydraulics again...

Postby jbfjr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:04 pm

...looks like this is going to be a major battle! I can just barely move the rockshaft arm from side to side, but the main piston will not budge. I now have the system drained and the manifold pipes are removed so I can silver solder the leak. My question: Is it OK to pry/push on the main piston to try and get it to at least move, or will that cause even more damage? BTW, I've soaked everything with PB Blaster. It's looking more and more like a complete tear-down to me...

Thanks,
John F.

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:44 pm

The piston actually glides on a couple of O rings. Once all the linkages are removed you should be able to force it in or out. The clearance between the sides of the piston cylinder and the piston are quite close and possible there is rust between them. But go ahead and try to carefully force it in if it is the outward position. Once you get it out you will be able to check the condition of the cylinder and the piston. I had mine apart but can not remember what it actually looked like. Go to this link and it may help. GSS-1024 Touch Control Service Manual.

Cecil.. have a look at what I did.... :)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:00 pm

you may be fighting against the control valves inside the unit. they are not directly operated by the control lever, but by a valve that directs fluid to them. if they are stuck you will NOT move the cylinder till you take the unit apart and remove all the fluid and valves, not just drain it through the plug.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jbfjr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jbfjr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Yes, the control valve seems to stuck as well. Tomorrow I'll remove all of the linkage and see if the main piston will move. Is it advisable to pry on the control valves? If they won't move is it time to pull the entire unit?

Thanks,
John F.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:51 pm

sounds like it is time for a complete tear down
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!