This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

need a final drive identification number

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

need a final drive identification number

Postby boldpsi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 am

i have to replace my right-side final drive (see post for "broken implement bolt holes"), and JP Salvage has returned my email. however, they've asked for the "350..." number off the final. thare ain't no sech numba! see below:

from the pictures i've seen elsewhere on the forum and 'Net, it should appear in the upper right-hand side of this picure (or final, for that matter)... am i confused, or is this just a little test of the forum's brain-trust?! let me know if y'all have any ideas on how to identify this part for the boys at JP Salvage (or anyone else for that matter!).
thanks!
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:57 am

Since you have a late model cub it will be the housing for the toggle style brakes. You might try looking on the left side final drive casting and see if the part number is on that one.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:58 am

Maybe this will help you?

There were changes on them, hence the suffix at the bottom of the second page that refer's to the SN's?
Mike Duncan

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:15 am

I have two 1949 cubs and the number on all the final drive housing is 350806 with a R2 below the number. The number is located above the IH on the right side of the photo you have shown. Your's does not have the number where mine are located.

Hope this helps.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:40 am

Big Dog hit the nail on the head (as usual).

Just look for a toggle-style and you would be all set. No left-right issue. they are all the same.

Probably the only fussy detail you could get into is a casting date to have one that matched your original, but that is not a functional issue and the chances of matching a casting date for this year of limited production is ultra-slim. The casting code on my old ones that I replaced was a plate held on by screws on the left side when facing from the transmission and as Jim said the number is cast into the right side from the same view. But this is non-toggle.
My toggle finals on my 74 don't have either just an "8 8 X" cast into the left inside view. This could be a casting date code as it is not uncommon to attach a date code number plate to the mold so the lot number is cast in. It is less work down the line so someone does not have to screw on an ID plate.
Last edited by bob in CT on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:40 am

In my opinion, potential confusion arises from posting any number other than the exact one for the application. Earlier it was twice mentioned that the housing must be for the later style brakes. Any of these Cub parts sellers should be able to work with just that information. The TC-37F catalog lists 350 806 R51 as the housing required.
Luck favors those who are prepared

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years

they actually only wanted the number to the right of the &qu

Postby boldpsi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks for the astute observations! i didn't know that all they needed to know was "they're toggle-style brakes", buy i will.

also, the number on the left side of the photo is "11 27 B", which i guess is the casting date of Nov 27 in some year which went from A to Z, then back to A again, etc., and probably represents 1978 in my case...

additionally, there are what looks like 2 little plates attached with screws in the spot that the "350...R..." number would be, but i don't understand or know their function...

but i'll contact them and let'em know... thanks for all your help!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:46 pm

The 11 27 B indicates a casting date of Nov 27, 1978. What appears to be plates attached with screws is just part of the casting and it is where the part number should be. Have you checked the casting on the other side to see if the part number is on it? It appears that the part number just never got stamped into this piece.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Just talked to JP Salvage

Postby boldpsi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Folks:

i just spoke with John at JP Salvage; he indicates that even on Toggle-Style brake-final drives, there's an R#. mine seems to have had a bad casting experience, in his opinion. he says that with a 1979 IHCub tractor, that means an "R8"...

so, i guess that's what i'm ordering!

the next question is: as a mediocre mechanic with some pretty good tools, how the heck to i do this job?!?! i guess i'm hoping for some directions to other posts or 'Net pages which i can learn from and use as a guide to doing this. i suppose the first thing i need is a taller jack and some taller jack-stands! i guess there's an IH part specifically designed for these tractors? any help above and beyond what you've already done will be graciously received...
thanks, again!
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:52 pm

Dave, as BD said:
Have you checked the casting on the other side to see if the part number is on it?
Check the other one for the part number suffix, odd's are that one will be there.
Mike Duncan

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years

left-side final drive also has no number

Postby boldpsi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 pm

yep, i did check it, but forgot to tell y'all... it's just like the right-side, with the funny screwed-on blank plate looking thingys... oh, well! :roll: :twisted:
boldpsi@windstream.net

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:19 pm

Dave,
If you have a trailer and can wait until CubFest Northeast 10/19-20-21 in Kinderhook at Cecil's place, I'm sure we could have the final changed out in no time. There are some seals and gaskets that you probably should get. I'll let the pros chime in on that item.
Oh yea, whenever you jack the rear end of a Cub - WEDGE BLOCK the front axle.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm

boldpsi,

You're only about 2.5 hours from Cubfest Northeast on 19, 20 & 21 October in Kinderhook, NY. Give some thought to loading up your Cub and replacement final and coming for the weekend. Even if you can't bring the Cub, come anyway. You'll have a great time and learn a few things, to boot.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23780

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24108

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23971

Hope to see you there. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Bus Driver wrote:In my opinion, potential confusion arises from posting any number other than the exact one for the application.

To add just a bit to this comment. Whenever looking in the Parts Catalog, never use a catalog edition that is older than the tractor. The pages shown above are from TC-37A (1949). The correct final drive housing for a '79 Cub isn't in that catalog.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:11 pm

Since the present plan is to change the housing, I suggest saving the old one if storage space permits. Newer repair techniques may appear, the owner may later acquire new tools and skills. Repairing that housing is not at all out of the question. And the broken one has the "correct" casting date code.
Catalog TC-37F was issued 8/79. As far as I know, it is the latest print edition that exists. I do know that some part numbers have changed since then and some have been deleted. The dealer has always found the numbers that I presented from the TC-37F to be useful and has found later information, if any, by virtue of those part numbers.
The newer brakes were introduced during the 1953 model year. My assumption has been that any housing originally used for the toggle brakes could be substituted on any tractor that was so originally equipped. If this assumption is incorrect, it would be helpful to know.
Obviously the Lo-Boy housing is different and not interchangeable.
Luck favors those who are prepared