This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

run away tractor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

run away tractor

Postby Yogie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Has or does anyone know someone who's been run over buy a cub while starting it from the side :shock:
I remember a neighbor doing this about 40 years ago, he was a big man thank goodness and got by with a smashed can of square snuff in his bibbs and a couple broke ribs...
I stopped by his sons Sunday to take a look at the same tractor and while we talking about the accident he started it and almost did the same thing.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:30 pm

I don't know of anybody, but I can see how it would be easy to do. My newest one doesn't have a choke rod so you have to stand next to it to choke it and pull the starter rod. I don't like that at all. This will be fixed pretty quick.

My Ferguson has the starter switch under the shifter. You have to move the tranny out of gear and use the shifter to start it. That guarantees you won't start in gear.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:33 pm

Been there. :oops: Well, not under the tractor luckily. I know a lot of people give this bit of advice; shaking hands with that gearshift before starting the tractor ain't a bad habit to get into to...

Since I burned $20 on that little choke rod lever I've been on the seat every time the I've fired it up. :wink:

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

brown5490
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 34471

Postby brown5490 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:45 pm

My brother started my 74 in the driveway and didn't know the tractor was in first-he checked the shifter but thought it wasn't in gear for some reason. He was on the left and I was on the right and it took off. My dad always taught me to never stand infront of something when starting so I didn't get run over but it was interesting, I had about 100ft before it would go through my neighbors garage. I sprinted up beside it on the left and pulled the throttle back and shut the engine off and then slowed it to a stop with the brake-that'll get your heart pumping. Its not a good habit to start it without someone sitting in the driver's seat but sometimes its unavoidable. Needless to say, I double check to make sure the tractor is out of gear before starting.
David Brown-- '74, '52(Dad's), '53 Cub, Henderson loader, Int. 1000 loader

Pat412
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75135

Postby Pat412 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:49 pm

A cub, no. A Ford 9N yes. About 5 years ago Dad was...well I forget what chore he was doing but the tractor needed gas so he pulled it up to the shop. After filling and buttoning everything back up, he hits the starter and first hit that thing was running and crawling up his leg. It walked across his back missing his head by milimeters. It did cut his ear. Couple of broken ribs, partially collapsed lung 5 day hospital stay. For what ever reason that was the one and only time he ever didn't take the tractor out of gear and then check it before starting again. So lucky I believe it a true understatement because it very easily could have gone the other way.

And in true Marine D.I. fashion Mom drove him to the emergency room. He said I don't need an ambulance. We all shutter at what could have happened.

Patrick

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:00 am

start it with the hand crank for a few years
you will never have any tractor in gear again when trying to start one
Ron

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

67 Cub

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:10 am

Did it once as a teenager, the cub started to climb the garage wall I know the back tire got me a bit before I shut it down. It really taught me a lesson. Have not made that mistake since
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Serious Tim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Serious Tim » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:48 am

I had a bad experience on a '64 Wheel Horse that was similar......

I used to ride my little boy around on it, as with all the tractors I've had, and the bad thing about that Wheel Horse is that it didn't have running boards, just foot pegs.

I had left my right foot on the ground, and was posiitoning him on that side of my lap with the tractor in gear and my left foot on the clutch. As I'm getting him settled my left foot slips off the clutch, and the tractor in second gear :shock:

It takes off, and sucks my right leg underneath. Now the tractor had turf tires on it but they were studded. I banged into the side of my house, and the wheels kept turning, the studs digging themselves into my right leg and tearing through my skin as I try to safely put my boy down on the ground. I feel my leg start to buckle and just before I think it's ready to snap like a twig my son runs away from the tractor and I hit the kill switch. Back of my right leg still has the scars to prove it.

Then about 2 weeks later I'm riding around the back side of the house, the snow plow bottoms out, and sends the tractor tail over teakettle, and with me on it :shock:

That thing ended up getting sold the next week. Here's a shot of it with my older boy. I learned my lesson......I will never buy any tractor that doesn't have running boards.

1958 Farmall Cub, "Thirty Thirty", a part of the family :)

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:51 am

That exact thing was what really pushed me over the edge to sell that 63 lo-boy that I restored last spring. I had just gotten it all back together, and had sat it out front for some pictures with the boys. At one point my youngest, 3-yrs old, sat over on the right rear tire, so his brother could sit on the seat for the photo. My oldest son, 6-yrs old, put his foot out to push himself up onto the seat, and pushed right on the starter push button. That tractor ran so good that I had set the throttle up so I could kill the motor when I pulled the throttle all the way back. Well, I had done just that, and forgotten to turn the key off before the boys climbed up and wanted a photo. Well the carb must have loaded up a bit with gas because when he bumped the starter it fired right up. Luckily, I was standing basically right in front of the right rear tire, cought my 3-yr old as the tire rolled him off the front, and got out of the way with the tractor only running over my left foot. I jumped back around the back and grabbed the gear shift and popped it into neutral, in what seemed like milliseconds, all carrying my 3-yr old on my hip. He got a pretty good gash in his leg where he hit the bracket for the bail adjust on the fast hitch. Scared the crap out of all of us. I put the thing up for sale later that day. It was just enough to make me not like the tractor. I know that it all was my fault, a bunch of things that I should have done differently, and there is no-one else to blame, but once I got it in my head, it had to go.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

CTdave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06870

Postby CTdave » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:55 am

Though not on a Cub, I knew a 42 year old man who was killed when his lawn tractor rolled over on top of him while he was driving across a hill side. He was pinned under it for several hours before his wife found him.

BE CAREFUL!

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:06 am

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:09 am

One of the reasons I've quit going to some of the local shows around the area is because of some of the spectators. I've stood back and watched several parents walk from tractor to tractor, while their young kids would climb aboard each tractor and start pulling and pushing levers and knobs :shock: . Talk about an accident waiting to happen. Some people just were'nt born with any "Common Sense".

In defense for the more respectful "Common Sense" parents, I've had some holding their young child's hand telling them not to touch the tractors. Usually I ask the parents if they want a picture of their kids setting in the seat, which they love, and thank me for it afterwards. Those kids are well behaved and only touch the steering wheel.

Rick

49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 49 Cub » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:15 am

Last night on Dayton’s 22 News an 85 year young man was pulling a fence post out of his yard and flipped his 8n/9n Ford on top of him. He was underneath it for four hours until he was able to dig himself out with a pocket knife. Amazingly he had not suffered any injuries.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 am

Not a Cub. Did hand crank an Allis about 50 years ago, in gear. Fortunately it was in reverse.

When I hand crank I go through a whole set of procedures before attempting to start the engine.

1. Check transmission in neutral.
2. Check brakes locked.
3. Check clutch pedal locked down. Allis has a lever to lock down the clutch.
4. Check ignition switch in off position.
5. Gently lift, crank engine, checking to see if tractor is in neutral.
6. Accomplish start procedures for the tractor. Fuel on, ignition on, choke set.
Last edited by Eugene on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:25 am

The first guy who designed my jeep tractor when i purchased it before restoring it with a full floor board and new frame. It had open rear wheels and if your left leg came off the little floor board it had in got sucked under the left rear tire with the chains. It happened to me and that sucked for sure!!!! Luckily it had a on/off toggle switch nearby and i hit it quickly because it was up to my ankle.

I did start my jeep tractor once from the side and it went racing rearward by me luckily again i hit the toggle switch again....just in time.

I start my int154 from the side but i always check the netural first after my jeep experience i learned my lesson to check for netural first..always.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall Cub”