This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wiring head-scratcher ** Solved ***

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Wiring head-scratcher ** Solved ***

Postby bob in CT » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:55 pm

Well the hood is off. Only took 3 days for that to happen :!:

I flushed and cleaned the radiator with a cleaning solution and had some persistent dripping, but I think that was just water in the fins after I connected the hose to the drain plug and let water come out the top. I still wanted a good look. I like what I see because it is pretty much intact under the hood with all the original hoes and clamps so not much has been done other than plugs points and oil. Plus grease. LOTS of grease. Grease that has built up in great gobs and turned into the consistency of old window glazing compound that I am prying off with an assortment of screwdrivers and other scraping tools. I probably could fill a soup can with the stuff.

The real issue is the wiring which has be puzzled enough to get the wiring diagram, which I have just done and will head back to the operating room after this post for exploratory surgery.

The lights don't work. None of them. check the fuse, OK. Unplug the connectors, and we have voltage. So ALL the bulbs are bad? Strange, but could happen, but NO! The lamps work when connected directly to the battery. My guess now is there is a weak ground that gives a number to the voltmeter but not enough for the light to work. Strange.

This tractor ('74 flat-nose) has 2 wires to each light, a positive and a ground. I have continuity on the ground wire from the wire to the neg post on the battery.

I'll come back with an update later.

Bob
Last edited by bob in CT on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

no lights

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:39 pm

I had a bad switch on my 67 at one point could be the problem, nothing is worse than chasing electrical problems.
Good Luck
Joe
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Bob:

Back to the basics first... Grounds, Grounds, Grounds :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:17 pm

I checked the grounds. Got the headlights to work with direct-to-battery positive and the existing ground wire.

I pulled the fuse holder and wire-brushed the spade connectors and diassembled the wire terminals and cleaned them too.

Now homing in on bad connections on the switch. I cleaned the terminals with a wire brush and now I need to replace a couple of connectors on the harness. I'll have to buy some right angle terminals tomorrow to match the original as there is very little slack in the wires. Switch functions properly with ohm meter. Body of the ampmeter seems to be broken away from the bezel. hanging on by one point at the bottom. I need to check that out, a I may need to tack something which would require complete disassembly.

All normal stuff that is to be expected. After all, I bought this to tinker.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Bob:

So then..

We is having fun right :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Hey, that's the point :!:

when it bites back :twisted: , I head for a different project and don't come back until I have a fresh outlook. :D

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:53 am

The figured out the grounds by 74.... front lights are grounded at a dash bolt (pink wire I believe.)

Got a picture? How bad is the wiring?

I spent hours drawing out the wiring on Rufus before I took it apart. Then I got the manual.... (and a factory harness). The best schematics are in the Operators Manual. $13!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

rggiuliani
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54208

Postby rggiuliani » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:54 am

I'm new to this forum so I don't know if you use this as stock in trade....

CopperShield. I use it whenever I am making bolted or battery connections for electrical wiring. It is copper in a liquid form that prevents coorsion and enhances the connection. Magic Goo. (my name for it) Buy it at trade stores for electrical supplies. 1 can lasts YEARS. put it on - bolt down the connection - wipe off the excess. Don't get it on your clothes.
Last edited by rggiuliani on Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Giuliani
48 Cub / and minature too...
83 Cub Cadet 782
2002 Case DX 29
All RED in a Green World

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:18 am

Ron, that "david" Coppershield sounds pretty good . Does it work for spade connections too? I'll add it to my antique bottle of anti seize that I keep reviving with a little nip of alcohol every year.

BW, my camera batteries croaked last night so I'll post pics later. The harness is not bad looking and if I had a steam cleaner it would clean up pretty nice. I have a GSS Service manual and the original Operator's Manual (which I need to scan) and between the 2 i have a pretty good picture . I am just starting at one end and checking and cleaning the connections of each wire, so it is just a matter of time.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:04 am

I have a few hood off pics and an update.
Image Image

The wiring problem on the lights was traced to the three connectors on the switch. All three were making electrical contact so I would get a voltage reading at the lamp, but the contacts must have been too weak to transmit current. I cleaned the contacts on the switch and put new connectors on the wires. Strange to see that on three connections but if you work on stuff long enough you can expect to see anything.
I wish I had a steam cleaner. There is nothing better for cleaning this grime. I must have had an inch and a half of black "fluff" on the air cleaner housing.

All the fluids are changed, the cooling system has been cleaned and flushed and now the lights are working. The bearing spindles on the C3 took almost a tube of grease. Now I need to put on the blinders and button it up before the "while you are in there" whispers turns this into a full resto project whch I don't plan to do for at least another season.

Next investigation is why the main C-3 (new) drive belt is getting smoking hot. probably slipping as everything seems to be turning freely but I'll take all the belts off and check everything out.

Bob

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:35 am

Bob: Don't let that tractor tio over onto that Sunbeam !! Could be very problematic !! Craig

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:00 am

I'd say "never happen" but that would seal the fate of the Tiger!
:lol:

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:03 am

In the Cub tradition, I could store it here until you have time to drive it again !! All I do is give, give and give some more. Craig

48 BARNEY CUB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61745
Tractors Owned: 1-1948 Cub
1-1950 Demonstrator

HOOD OFF

Postby 48 BARNEY CUB » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:25 am

LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT A GOOD START BET YOUR HAVEING FUN :lol:

48 BARNEY CUB 8)
1-48 CUB

rggiuliani
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54208

Connectors

Postby rggiuliani » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:57 am

I'm a purist when it comes to connectors. I NEVER crimp connectors and leave them.

Suggestion. Take some heat shrink tubing. Size does matter. Solder the connectors after crimping. Get rid of the plastic on the connector. Now slide the heat shrink..... (You DID put it on before the connector. I knew you would.) over the connector and you now have a connection that won't corode and cause issues. Heat shrink available at auto parts stores, Harbor Freight, or (my favorite) Outpost.com (Fry's Electronics on-line presence) They have mongo rolls of the stuff. Multiple sizes. I use it for many things including covering connectors on ropes for the boat.

The CopperShield works whenever you have a connection with an air gap. Slide connectors, battery post etc. Discovered this when they were building and repairing Nuc Power Plant I worked at.

Old Navy trick. I hated to work on gear that had bad connectors. That's why I went into Operations and let others fix what I broke in the commercial power world.
Ron Giuliani

48 Cub / and minature too...

83 Cub Cadet 782

2002 Case DX 29

All RED in a Green World