This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just stopped running

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:41 am

Bob in CT wrote:Excellent!

Better to spend the time on careful and systematic diagnosis than throwing money and parts at it. That is just the kind of thing a methodical test with a voltmeter would have revealed, but the end result is the only thing that matters.

Feels good to figure it out, doesn't it?

Expect to have to maintain those points. Unfortunately, China has cornered the tungsten market by driving all the mines out of business by undercutting them and shutting them down. Now that the competition has been pummeled, they have raised the prices and are limiting the export of raw material. This means a lot of points come from China because the contacts are tungsten. I suspect that the alloy they are using is junk, because I have noticed that any points I have replaced recently need to be kissed by a file every year. The points in my Gravely L8 mag were driving me nuts and now I just pull the mag every Spring and give them 1 swipe with a special diamond point file I have. I think I have 15 year old points in my Cub. Runs like a champ. Condensors impact point life, but this "glazing" that you will see on this Forum as a recurring theme should not be happening with a decent tungsten alloy. off the soapbox...

:roll:

Bob

Bob,

For years I've resisted throwing the old points away only to replace them with newer junk. I take the old ones apart and recondition the tungsten very carefully and In my opinion they are much better than the new replacements. BTW, point files never touch the repaired points.

I use a green wheel for carbide to remove a spur if there is one and then use a series of stones, finishing up with a hard Arkansas stone. Cleanliness is very important.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:08 pm

So I was even thinking this was worth a separate post.... what about the Pertronics electronic igniton??

The reason I ask is that way back I heard a nurseryman say they were having so much trouble with 'junk' points that they replaced them all with electronic.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Andy Oberg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Andy Oberg » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:12 pm

Buzzard Wing wrote:So I was even thinking this was worth a separate post.... what about the Pertronics electronic igniton??

The reason I ask is that way back I heard a nurseryman say they were having so much trouble with 'junk' points that they replaced them all with electronic.

I saw those at this link- http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Interna ... s/3738.htm

Informed opinions?
1978 Cub #252847
54 blade
C3 mower
http://www.obergandavery.com

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:19 pm

George: Wow. I thought I was doing well with my diamond points file cast off from the phone company when they retired the old cental office switch gear. Reconditioned points are a bettewr choice than this junk we are getting now. We used to make good stuff here.

BW: I put a Pertronics in my Bugeye and I am very pleased. I'd actually forgotton about it because someone else installed it for me one summer when I had to trek across NZ, OZ, and Micronesia for a month on business. Never thought of it for the tractors.

Bob

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:26 pm

Aoberg:

I had no idea they were available for the Cub, but why not? As I said In my other post, i'd completely forgootn about mine and that is a good sign. My MOPAR friend dwn the street strongly recommended the Pertronics II over the early version but it was because of some improvements and not that the earlier version was unreliable. If I had to go after my points after every long "set", I'd install this in a heartbeat. That said, I am CHEAP, and will not do it until that day comes.

Bob

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Bob,

OZ = Old Zealand? :D, or have you been to see the Wizard?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:59 pm

OZ is short for Aussie. That is how they refer to themselves. Great folks. J

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:09 pm

I didn't know that. Thanks. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor