This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cleaning small parts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
perk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Ford 2N

cleaning small parts

Postby perk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:13 am

Thought I would share this: To clean small parts (nuts, bolts, washers and other small parts) I took a Jif jar, put about 2 inches of fine sand, then added a degreaser-cleaner, added hot water to within 2 inches of the top, installed the lid, shake-shake-shake and I was amazed as to how clean these parts came out!
48 Farmall Cub and 47 Ford 2N

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:58 am

Could be the tip of the week :shock: :lol:

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby TexCub » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:08 pm

nice tip. one I'll use I'm sure!
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to have a paint shaker in my shop. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:45 pm

If you want to "Automate" cleaning the bolts, nuts, etc. Check out the "TIP" from Ralph:
http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=117027

It works, I've been doing for awhile now.
Mike Duncan

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:07 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have a paint shaker in my shop. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it would. That's one job I use mine for. I haven't tried using sand. I just add some solvent to a can full of nuts and bolts, start the shaker and leave till it gets quiet again. Coffee cans don't last very long, but I drink a lot of coffee. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:44 pm

Hey Perk, good idea and I'll try it. Do you use any special cleaner or just any old good cleaner will do? Oh and by the way, welcome to the Forum!

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:18 pm

i have wandered how my tumbler for reloading ammunition would work . :? maybe use some sand instead of walnut shells that are used for brass casings :wink:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

perk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1947 Ford 2N

Postby perk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Pete,
I used a product called 'Thund'r Blast'. I picked it up at Dollar General for 2 bucks.
Hey, that paint shaker would make it a lot easier!
48 Farmall Cub and 47 Ford 2N

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:46 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do use one of the rock tumblers
They work very well.
A little advice and a few words of caution
DO Not buy the double drum as it has the same little motor on the single and the double and it is undersize for the double drum unit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=46376

you will also need to first thing take the top off to access the belt take it off and get a large O ring the correct size as the belt.
once you have the O ring put the original belt back on it .
the O ring you got for a spare will be appreciated at that unusual hour that you need it as you Will SHURELY need it. the factory belt is good for about 24 hours of tumble and it will break . The O ring however will last for a long time.
Do Not Overload it !!!!!!!!!
it says 3 pound but that is the sand water and cleaner and bolts.
I put what would amount to a set of front and rear lugs(20) and a set of square wheel bolta and nuts ( in a load
Put some degreaser powder tide or mean green or your favorite cleaner put some sand and water and let it tumble for about 12 hours .
i have cleaned 100 plus pounds of bolts and hardware and it does a good job.

Thanks Ralph

Ralph in ky.

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:56 pm

Great Idea thanks!

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Another take on the Jif jar for small parts

Postby drspiff » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:07 pm

The Jif jar is a great idea since it allows you to keep your small parts separate from the "BIG" parts. If you have really small parts that you want to clean, get a tea ball from the grocery store or an Asian food store. A tea ball is a pair of fine mesh stainless steel hemispheres that usually snap or clip together. They are intended to allow you to steep tea leaves to make a pot of tea. If it is good enough for the FDA, it is good enough to clean my Cub parts. The size is limited, but I've got one that is 2" in diameter. It will hold a lot of set screws, or other little parts that need special treatment.

For the next step up from a tea ball, go back to the kitchen store and look for collandars or sieves made with stainless steel mesh. They come in a variety of sizes and you can usually find one that will fit into your container of degrease solution. Take a couple of pieces of stainless steel welding rod to bend up some handles. After the handles are attached, it is like having your own dip tank.

I stress stainless steel because I discovered that the Purple Stuff is death on aluminum. Since I'm on a roll here...

I use a black plastic bucket for my purple degreasing solution. I find that leaving the bucket outside exposed to the sun heats the solution and the hot solution is much more effective that room temperature solution.

To minimize evaporation of the purple solution, I made a lid out of 1/4" ply with pieces of quarter round molding glued on to hold the lid in place. Once the lid is primed and painted with some leftover alkyd enamel and a handle attached, it looks almost "uptown".

I also keep a second bucket full of water to rinse the part after it comes out of the purple solution. This stops the action of the degreaser and then I dry the part with a rag or paper towels. This is kinda like a stop bath in photography.

Just some thoughts,

Dr. Spiff

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:52 pm

Dr. Spiff,

GIG'EM AGGIES!!!!

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”