This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Favorite homebuilt accessories

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:27 am

Here is a link tothe thread for my Cub Throne. And here is a picture of the Throne.

It is good that the Cub can do so many things, but I want to be comfortable doing them.

Rick (it's still good to be king) Dulas

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:18 am

Has anyone ever tried to put together a 4x4 cub? Seems like you could do it based off the PTO and a drive shaft...it'd just be a question of a new front axle. Totally out of the blue, but it was something I was thinking about this week when I was up in Utah and some some "other" tractor with 4x4.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:25 am

Anythings possible, take Rick's V-6 conversion and Cub backhoe projects for example. There's talk now of some doing a diesel conversion now, not sure if they have it nailed down yet, I'll be curious to see how they deal with having hydraulics on it.

I'd guess if you could find an axle of the right size, you could fabricate it up.
Mike Duncan

PageRob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 86040
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub "Black Cat"
Mamod TE1A "Kayenta"

Postby PageRob » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:03 am

Rudi wrote:I will still write in Notepad for my HTML...Being a non-professional but a self taught HTML author.. there is a lot I do not understand and sure would like to learn. :cry:

I understand exactly what you're talking about, Rudi. I've built my website all by hand-coding HTML, and I can't do all these new and fancy things that most websites have now. I've gotta hand-code, FTP, and live-check all my pages by hand, by myself...and my website isn't nearly as big or popular as this one! Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel your pain, and if you need a hand, gimme a holler.
"The only thing we did was wrong was stay in the wilderness too long/the only thing we did was right was the day we started to fight."
-Old Spiritual

Dave F.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:05 pm

I appreciate you Rudi for all the cub manuals that you provide, Also I think what would be nice to have on an cub would be power steering especially if you have an loader on it. Dave F.

drspiff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77802
Tractors Owned: The '51
Blue Boy
Scout
a host of parts tractors

Postby drspiff » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:42 am

Dave F. wrote:I appreciate you Rudi for all the cub manuals that you provide, Also I think what would be nice to have on an cub would be power steering especially if you have an loader on it. Dave F.

Having spent a little time in the big building where GM makes their power steering gears, it seems to me that this should be relatively easy to do. The heart of a power steering unit is the cylindrical valve which controls fluid flow to the actual steering gear, and is directly connected to the steering wheel.

The big money in the valve is the layout of the port holes so that you get smooth steering in response to steering wheel movement. The TC would provide the hydraulic power needed and 1 or 2 hydraulic cylinders would provide "power assisted" steering.

Use the crank access hole in the radiator casting to mount the fixed ends of the steering cylinders, and attach the other ends to the tie rod mounting assembly. Essentially, you are creating a duplicate set of tie rods and using the crank hole in the radiator simplifies the geometry greatly.

The steering wheel to steering valve connection can happen anywhere, but the best bet is close to the radiator casting where the steering wheel shaft enters the steering gear. Mount the steering valve assembly rigidly and connect the steering wheel shaft to the steering valve input shaft using chain or gears.

Turning the steering wheel then turns the steering valve directing hydraulic flow to the cylinders. The cylinders then push the tie rod ends turning the front wheels.

Rick (Simple in Theory) Dulas

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:46 am

Guys:

Thanks;, I appreciate. I didn't reply right away so I apologize for that.. I did see them though and the posts do help and provide continued encouragement. I actually scanned another manual last night and it is almost ready to upload.

After a day's worth of seat time and a bit of work on the pole barn, maybe I will be able to sit down for a while and upload it to the server.

Thanks again
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”