This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Serial number tag cleaning

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Serial number tag cleaning

Postby JimT » Fri May 04, 2007 7:00 pm

Hey guys,

Does any one have any suggestions about cleaning a serial number plate. Or should I just leave it alone and put it back on like it is. I thought about getting a new one, but I would like to stay with the original one.

JimT
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Jim:

I certainly would not use anything stronger than lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner used sparingly and I mean sparingly on a soft clean rag will help clean the gunk and crud off of the Serial # Tag without harming the underlying aluminum or potmetal or whatever that material actually is.

However, lacquer thinner may also remove a little of the black paint. That is ok, cause you can then lightly paint the tag and then wipe off the excess after a minute maybe :?: You would have to experiment a bit. Nice thing about thinners and paint, is you can redo to your hearts content and not destroy the tag itself. The black paint will also bring out the Serial #, RPM indication and will enhance the background. Wiping it will take the paint off of the high spots that are supposed to be bare.

One other option is to get a replacement and keep the original in a safe place of have it plasticized so it will not get eaten away. My personal preference would be to rehabilitate the original.

Now, as with oil, paint and other hot button topics, you may get a few dozen or more opininions. In the end, it is ultimately up to you how you proceed. Either way, please take good pics and document what you do. It may turn into an excellent How To :idea: :wink: 8) :D :!: or a not so funny How Not To.. :roll: :wink: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Fri May 04, 2007 7:40 pm

Mother's also makes a mag/aluminum cleaner/polish that is great, but it will also take some the paint off as well. Will give it a nice. deep low gloss sheen however. Craig

george
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby george » Fri May 04, 2007 7:50 pm

I'd try toothpaste and mild elbowgrease first.
George

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Fri May 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Thanks for your tips guys. Going to go the the tractor show tomorrow down in the Chichamauga/Rock Springs, GA area. It'll probably be Sunday before I can work on it again. Got to get up at 4:30 am and go to a friends to leave for the show. Wish I had mind done. O'well, plenty more shows this year, hehe.

JimT
JimT

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Fri May 04, 2007 10:01 pm

I like the tooth paste idea.I use it a lot.Very mild cleaner.I'm also with Rudi on this one.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

flag
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby flag » Sat May 05, 2007 7:13 am

I used Mineral spirits to clean mine just the other day, then used a brass/crome polish that I had, comes in a can with cotton, its like a dry rub then polish off with clean cotton rag. I then used enamel clear areosol spray and it look real good even those brass studs!

magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby magnumpi » Sat May 05, 2007 7:18 am

As long as it's off the tractor, flip it over and try some ideas on the backside. Craig

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat May 05, 2007 7:57 am

I too found myself in that position with my demo cub. I took a poll on this site, and it was decided to reuse the old one. After some suggestions of the members here, and some friends, that is what i did, reuse the old one. I am in the process of writing a "How to Re-use that Old Serial Plate" I got a couple of pictures to go yet, hope to finish up this weekend, but here is a link to the start of it. Start at the end and move forward.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b46/v ... l%20plate/

John

How's it looking?

TexasTechsan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76087

Postby TexasTechsan » Sat May 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Since he got his off, I'll ask in here... how do you get the tag off? I read the thread forumn thing about using putty knifes and tried it, but I got nervous when the plate started bending and stopped. Did I miss something?
2007 F-250 PSD
1949 Farmall Cub w/ C-2 Mower
ImageImage

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Sat May 05, 2007 4:18 pm

i center punched and drilled mine, it was real easy that way. i wish i would have tryed to get the rivets out first instead of drilling.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sun May 06, 2007 6:54 am

TexasTech,

I used the putty knife to get the tag off. At first I put too large of a slot in the putty knife (started bending the tag up around the rivet), so I cut the end off the knife and ground a smaller slot in it, about the width of the rivets. I worked the putty knife under the plate and around until it started to go under the rivet. It worked great with the smaller grove. When I got the putty knife up under the rivet I took two small screwdrivers and pushed them in under the putty knife on both sides of the rivet. The rivets came out good then (was able to save the rivets to reuse). Just work the putty knife around under the plate until you find a spot it will start going in under the rivet. Sorry I didn't get back earlier, but went to a tractor show in Georiga yesterday.

JimT
JimT

Return to “Farmall Cub”