This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

electronic ignition kits

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:13 am

Gary Dotson wrote:When members on here have Cub performance problems, one of the first things they are told is: "Check the points" I guess they aren't so trouble free after all!
The reason they are told that is that most people asking the question are not experienced mechanics, and are working on tractors that have probably had little maintenance in that area for many years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:27 am

I guess it really comes down to how you look at things. First, I have no doubt that the solid state ignition systems are pretty much foolproof and trouble free once installed. If you don't mind the price of the unit then no doubt, it would be the way to go.
I enjoy tinkering with ignition systems and for the use my tractors will get, a tune-up lasts a long time. I will most likely never spend as much on points and condensors as it would cost for a solid state unit. So for me, it doesn't make sense. If I hated to work on tractors and wanted pure reliability - just go start it up and mow or plow or whatever, then the investment might be worth it to me.
This all points out the value of having more than one cub. If one won't start then go get another one! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:26 pm

I had an old blue Homelight 150 chain saw and a red XL I put an electronic module in years ago. My son and I used them extensively when we had a tree cutting firewood business and never had a failure.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Larry Barb Dotson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Electronic ignition kits

Postby Larry Barb Dotson » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:29 pm

I think storage is the main factor regarding points life. If your storage building is not weather tight, then you may have corrosion attack the points on a regular basis. I had one tractor that set in an old single car garage with a dirt floor. Every year I would have to clean the points to get it started. Brother Gary addapted a electronic unit from a Mitsubishi 4 cylinder and it solved the problem.

Larry Dotson

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:20 pm

I agree with a few others that the price of it really doesn't justify getting it. All three of my Ford "N's" are running the original style ignition as well as being on 6 volts. I haven't changed any of the parts of the ignition systems on all three within the past 4 yrs and they are all still running fine. The 8N gets a lot more use that the other two, mainly because it has a Sherman Aux transmission on it, but the others start right up and run great.

If you are planning on using your tractor a lot and you want it to be as maintenance-free as possible, I'd say change over to 12 volts and install the electronic ignition system if price is not an issue to you.

After all, it's your tractor and if you really depend on it a lot, I'd say go for it. That's one reason (at least this is what I tell my wife) I have as many tractors as I have. If one breaks down, I can always use the other one while I make the repairs when I find the time.
Mike Duncan