This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

radiator neck /hood alignment way off

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dnolan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dnolan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:01 pm

Hey thanks for the insite everyone, I have a another original radiator that I bought on ebay that I will be installing when I finish the restoration. The old radiator is leaking and has some damage from the hood rubbing on it. I hope this takes care of the problem otherwise, I will probably be looking for another base. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress! Wish me luck
Fixin it is medicine for the mind.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:35 pm

I have a question:

If the coolant froze, would it actually BEND the cast bolster? I would think the bolster would crack first.

I can see how it would bend the radiator because that's made from copper or aluminum, both very ductile metals.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I have a question:

If the coolant froze, would it actually BEND the cast bolster? I would think the bolster would crack first.

I can see how it would bend the radiator because that's made from copper or aluminum, both very ductile metals.

Matt,

You're right, mostly, but cast iron will indeed bend a bit. Usually the broken tanks are bowed up about 1/8" to 3/16". If you look inside one toward the front you will see a small "finger" (I don't know what else to call the connecting piece) that connects the front part to the crank tunnel. It will be broken and the gap created will tell you how far it has bowed.

Ralph brought one here in January that many of us inspected that was cast a little differently internally... Two of the bosses that the bolts go into were connected to the crank tunnel, so there are two different castings. The difference wouldn't affect their interchangeability.

Edit: I know the above 1000 words aren't very clear so here's a picture.

The red arrow points to the "finger" I tried to describe. In the casting Ralph brought that finger was never there but the points by the blue arrows had been connected. In both castings the gap showed clearly how much the freezing had bent the castings. Both were broken otherwise too but had been repaired.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”