This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

GrassBoard Wood Pictures

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

GrassBoard Wood Pictures

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Ok Here's a picture of the wood that my grass board is made of, can you guys please tell me what it is? Pine? Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:22 pm

Brandon,
I'm fairly certain, from your picture, that it is southern yellow pine. It is fairly hard, and it is now only used for 2x10 and 2x12 lumber, and in toung and groove pine 1x4 and 1x6 subflooring (but that is becoming pretty rare to find).
Typically now, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 and sometimes 2x10 lumber is made of SPF lumber, which stands for Spruce, Pine, Fir. It is much softer and has a finer grain. Southern yellow pine is hard and dense, but not like maple, birch, oak, or hickory.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:24 pm

It's hard to tell from a picture. It could be pine but that would be just a little soft for a swath board. If it dents real easy then it could be pine. If this is an original it could be hard pine. Personally I would lean towards oak or ash.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 pm

I agree that it looks like southern yellow pine. That's some HARD stuff, especially after it gets a little old. There are resins in it that set up over time making it very hard. That ugly green treated crooked lumber that is used for decks, etc. is SYP from younger trees than were used when the grassboards were made originally.

I prefer working with really hard woods but not that stuff. :( It's miserable!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:49 pm

You have herd the saying tougher than a lighter knot well that is a lighter knot
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:06 am

hey brandon,looks like you got your grass board! can't wait to see whole pic. take it from someone where there is a lot of pines (yellow pine),it looks to be.
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:14 am

That board is definitely Southern yellow pine. If your Cub has a smoky exhaust, folks in my area might suspect that it is being fueled with pine knots. Typical SYP falls between red oak and white oak in rot resistance, with the white oak being the most resistant. A completely pitch-filled piece of pine will last almost forever. Old property deeds often describe a boundary marker as a "pine knot".
Luck favors those who are prepared

a-dougk1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66056

Postby a-dougk1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:38 pm

Yep, that looks like yellow pine to me too.

When I was younger, my parents bought a house that had all its woodwork made of yellow pine, including the flooring and studs. It was built in 1909 and the wood had spent many decades "curing".

It was impossible to drive a nail into the wood; it would just bend. You first had to drill a hole in the wood, then drive the nail. That was just too much work for this lazy bum :)

Doug
"My destiny's ta get the h*ll outa here."
Henry Fonda - My Name is Nobody

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:30 am

Very interesting thread. I have to re-do a couple of the reel bats on my "other" 52R combine. I have been wondering about what wood to use. In my mind it didn't seem likely they would have used pine, but after reading this thread maybe that is what it is. It is certainly a "lightweight" wood, I don't think it's oak.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:12 am

Southern Yellow Pine is a material that I really do not like to allow in my shop nor come in contact with my blades. Takes too much to clean em up after. If the pine is reasonably fresh, then the gum just sticks to it all and burns the blades... if it is cured.. well it burns the blades.. but cause it is like cutting Iron Wood...

SYP is an excellent wood for many items that can be exposed to the weather, but it should be stored in a barn when not in use so the SYP does not degrade. Although, I gotta admit SYP is pretty durable.

Almost any wood that is available at reasonanle cost is probably your best bet.. even willow, poplar, cedar etc., is acceptable and will last reasonably well. Always have a couple on hand though... just in case :!: :wink: Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”